Author Topic: Error with diskless Media Director boot  (Read 8718 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Error with diskless Media Director boot
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:02:25 am »
I'm getting part way through a diskless boot, but it's failing.  

Error message is:  Mount: RPC : Remote Systems error - Network is unreachable

It's attempting to reach: .../pluto/diskless/192.168.80.2 (which is the proper address for this device based on it's MAC address.)

I also see a bit higher on the screen possible smoking gun...

eth0: error fetching interface information.  
Device not Fount.  
Not configuring DHCP, no ethernet found

Sorry, I don't have too much experience at diskess linux booting...
Can the screen be scrolled back up to see more info?
I have a intel motherboard with intel 10/100/1000 network card in this box.  Sarge hardware detect error?

Thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:46:28 am »
Yes. If the kernel can't configure your card then it won't be able to mount NFS root file system.

You should be able to use Shift + Page Up/Down to scroll the screen.

Can you please start that machine with the KickStart CD and see what driver is loading ? Or if not then send us the output of the lspci -vv command. You might need to actually install the CD on that machine (i don't know if this is feasible in your conditions).

Sincerely,
   ToMiC

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 06:36:18 pm »
searching newgroups, it looks like sarge needs help identifying this card/driver combo.  The correct driver is e1000 based on what i can see.

can the diskless profile be edited to force the proper driver?

(i'm both a pluto newbie and a linux newbie.  what a challenged combo!)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Found the issue.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 08:36:15 pm »
Hi,

It looks like the driver for you card wasn't in the initrd image that the core is providing to the media directors. This is fixed as of now but unfortunately the next build 2.0.0.12 is currently being built and we can't put this into that right now. The good news is that we plan a very short 2.0.0.12 and release the next one a couple of days later (maybe one week). This should not let you wait more than one week.

Sincerely,
   ToMiC (mihai.t@plutohome.com)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Happy to wait
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 08:42:16 pm »
I'm happy to know it will be fixed.  No worries, I fully understand the build process.  Next build, whenever, is fine.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Updates to MD boot image
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 10:15:36 pm »
Once an update like this is made, how does the bootimage get updated?

(Delete MD device and recreate it?   This ties back to my other question of getting Admin page created MD's to generate the bootimage files.)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Updates to MD boot image
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 09:04:14 pm »
Quote from: "danielk"

(Delete MD device and recreate it?   This ties back to my other question of getting Admin page created MD's to generate the bootimage files.)

The easy way out is to delete the image and recreate it. Since you didn't install anything in that image yet, I recommend you take this approach.

The other way would be chrooting into the disk image and uninstalling the kernel package. This would trigger a kernel reinstall next time images are checked.

Images are created and kernels installed at boot time by the Diskless_Setup.sh and Create_DisklessMD_FS.sh scripts found in /usr/pluto/bin. The first calls the second for each MD.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Updates to MD boot image
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 09:07:58 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"
Quote from: "danielk"

The easy way out is to delete the image and recreate it. Since you didn't install anything in that image yet, I recommend you take this approach.

The other way would be chrooting into the disk image and uninstalling the kernel package. This would trigger a kernel reinstall next time images are checked.

Images are created and kernels installed at boot time by the Diskless_Setup.sh and Create_DisklessMD_FS.sh scripts found in /usr/pluto/bin. The first calls the second for each MD.

Just in case you wonder why I don't automate this: when you install the kernel, it creates an initrd on its own. Now, I could just create that each time, but it wouldn't be efficient for most of the users. The initrd includes some predefined modules, but not all, so I have to add modules to a config file used by mkinitrd in the kernel-image postinstall script.

I could check the initrd file when doing a kernel install though, so if we change the kernel version the initrd config file gets updated before the new kernel install.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 03:04:08 am »
Hello,
I'm getting the same error as the original post. My NIC is an Intel Pro 1000 MT. Any help would be appreciated.

Brandon

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 01:42:58 pm »
Hi,

Some Intel gigabit cards work, some don't, but I can't really say which ones do and which ones don't. It's possible that it's a driver issue, but it's not easy to fix this one.