Author Topic: If I use a NAS, does the data still pass through the core?  (Read 3204 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
If I use a NAS, does the data still pass through the core?
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:16:09 pm »
If I watch a movie that is stored on my NAS, or live tv from one MD to another, does the data all still go to the core first, then to the destination? Or does it go straight from the NAS to the destination, or from the MD with the tuner straight to the MD you are watching.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: If I use a NAS, does the data still pass through the core?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:05:34 pm »
boy howdy, that's a complicated question to answer :)

Short answer? It depends.

Long Answer? ...

In LinuxMCE, every device has a number, and all the devices are arranged in a tree. This is more than just an aesthetic choice, this is an architectural one.

For each type of message in the system, there is a source, and a destination device.

If the drive is a child of the hybrid/core for example, then LinuxMCE determines that the disk is local, so it can simply read off the disk. In this case, the parent devices are the same both source and destination, so we don't have to create any plumbing to make it work.

If the drive is a child of something else, such as a file server (NAS), then we have to figure out who is the parent....

All media directors see the exact same filesystem structure... Hybrids also fall into this category as well.... and we run an automounter which constantly looks at the database to figure out how to mount a disk that is required for the main media director to play the media.. this becomes the source device.... It will do an NFS or windows samba share mount depending on what needs to happen, to make it happen.

When you stream video to multiple devices (using the xine player, for example), the first media director becomes the source device, and deals with reading the data off the disk. Then it streams the video to the other media directors over the network.

This is dependent on the media player, the media plugin, and the destination devices. The Media Plugin figures out how many streams it needs to create, and which devices to assign as the source, and the destinations to fulfill a request.

I've tried to explain this as best I can..hopefully it's clear.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:06:10 pm »
i've never tried a NAS, but I assume it should mount it on each MD and not reexport from the core.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:01 pm »
Ok, let me narrow it down a bit then. I have Hancock the movie stored on my NAS (ripped using LMCE straight from a DVD in standard def), I want to watch it from the MD in my home theater room, in this scenario I would assume once the file is located, that it would just go straight from the NAS to the MD, correct?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:21:13 pm »
Correct.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 10:32:06 pm »
Thom,
would you mind checking out my last post on this thread while I have your attention...Thanks
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6570.0