I think that, for the long term, we should decide whether a Playlist-based (Winamp) or a Library-based (iPod/iTunes) design for our Media Remotes should be used.
- the user will manage it's own files and directory structure
- easy to add "the next song" in the Playlist
- the user has no direct access to files
- easier to find and play a specific album, or a specific artist
- in it's direct form, harder to add media to a playlist, and to play media in a specific order.
I opt for the Library-based design, because the user shouldn't have direct access to files, and searching for a specific album is easier; it is also the design option of choice for cool established products (iPod), therefore the learning curve should be smaller. Things to consider: 1.using Pluto, the user doesn't necesarily have a way to input text. 2. There has to be a party-mode, where the user selects media via some constraints, and it plays randomly. Please comment.