Author Topic: Support for various Media Directors  (Read 9252 times)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
Support for various Media Directors
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:42:40 am »
Has anyone used any of the following devices as MD:

1.  http://z500series.com/index.php

2.  http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=547

trying to find an alternative to the FIIRE fanless system.  If these two will work with MS MCE will they or can they work with LMCE.  I like these due to the cost and asthetic appearance and removes the need for a PC or all of the other items I've seen here for MD.

Just asking

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Support for various Media Directors
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:08:22 am »
No they will not run a MediaDirector image. the image is currently a PC based image and will only run on PCs

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:32:20 am »
Thanks.  Just trying to find something down to the right size.  I'll keep looking and post if I find interesting stuff.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:56:34 pm »
ust asking

I have two DLINK DSM320's kicking around, which I was using before I traveled down the HTPC road.

With LinuxMCE 7.10 Release, the DLink's will see the LinuxMCE uPnp and the MythTV uPnp servers when you search for media servers. This is one of the noticeable differences I've found between the release and the beta's. Before, the DLink's were absolutely useless, but now, I can tell it to use the LinuxMCE uPnp and happily play music, see photos and play back recordings and video, although I have noticed there is lag between the moving image and the audio when playing video, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted to stop using the DLink's in the first place.

I didn't try to connect to the MythTV server. I believe the 0.20 version doesn't do much of anything, but the 0.21 release (of MythTV) does seem to work much better. I can play back everything but my vidoes with 0.21... tv recordings playback just fine, but divx avi movies produce a wrong format error (but as I mentioned above, play fine with LinuxMCE 7.10R's Upnp server).

So I guess they won't be a media director, but if you need to feed a TV with limited abilities, and want something small and quiet, these units could be an option that way.

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:14:13 am »
ust asking

I have two DLINK DSM320's kicking around, which I was using before I traveled down the HTPC road.

With LinuxMCE 7.10 Release, the DLink's will see the LinuxMCE uPnp and the MythTV uPnp servers when you search for media servers. This is one of the noticeable differences I've found between the release and the beta's. Before, the DLink's were absolutely useless, but now, I can tell it to use the LinuxMCE uPnp and happily play music, see photos and play back recordings and video, although I have noticed there is lag between the moving image and the audio when playing video, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted to stop using the DLink's in the first place.

I didn't try to connect to the MythTV server. I believe the 0.20 version doesn't do much of anything, but the 0.21 release (of MythTV) does seem to work much better. I can play back everything but my vidoes with 0.21... tv recordings playback just fine, but divx avi movies produce a wrong format error (but as I mentioned above, play fine with LinuxMCE 7.10R's Upnp server).

So I guess they won't be a media director, but if you need to feed a TV with limited abilities, and want something small and quiet, these units could be an option that way.

Do you have a run down of how you got the Dlinks connected and working?  I too have one of these and i don't want to loose it to the attic.

Thanks.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:28:06 am »
In the LMCE admin...

Advanced > Configuration > Upnp server.

Under Options I think is the rebuild database link.

Then, just connect your Dlink DSM to the internal lan... have it use DHCP...

Then Settings > and scan for servers.

You'll likley see two.. LinuxMCE or DCRouter, and the MythTV upnp server. Take your pic depending on the content you want to view.

There wasn't much to do, other than connect, scan for servers....