Author Topic: Any Intersest in GPS tracking ?  (Read 3937 times)

ouie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Any Intersest in GPS tracking ?
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:06 pm »
I just wanted to gauge interest in GPS tracking in Linuxmce. If we integrated something like this http://www.opendmtp.org/article/webserv/ then we could track our cars..or anything else we wanted from our couch...Giving us our own lowjack system. Anybody else think this is interesting?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Intersest in GPS tracking ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:02:25 pm »
That would be an awesome feature in my opinion.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:29:52 pm »
I'd love something like this...perhaps an install mode for mapping CAN commands would be in order for a more complete integration of a linuxmce box into a car.  I would probably only want to make the investment if putting a box in the car if it was totally tied in and CAN-USB adapters allow you to use your existing controls to achieve just this.  For those that don't know CAN stands for controller area network and is a protocol standard implemented in most newer vehicles.  It allows the electronic devices to talk to eachother over the CAN protocol for controlling/monitoring external devices.  I believe this would be a nice addition to the already powerful IO device support of LMCE.  There is an open-source project called cPOS that is doing exactly this, although it's not very straightforward to setup, it does indeed work and their code is available to any developer who might be interested.

wackychimp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:51:20 pm »
I wouldn't be as interested in the lojack side of things but if LMCE could notice when I entered my neighborhood and turn on my front porch light (only if it was night of course) that would be really cool.

Lowjack would be a bonus though.