Author Topic: XBMC style interface (skinning)  (Read 5307 times)

smenard

• First post!
    • View Profile
XBMC style interface (skinning)
« on: April 08, 2008, 03:18:38 pm »
I have been using the new XBMC linux port for little while now and I really like the way the interface are working.

It would be nice to see this type of interface (skinning) in LinuxMCE.

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Linux_port_project
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:22:22 pm by smenard »

pmbsa

• View Profile
Re: XBMC style interface (skinning)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:27:51 pm »
I agree, the XBMC interface is probably the best I have used. It would be great if linuxMCE could do something similar

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:03:24 am »
The entire UI for orbiter can be changed beyond anything that XBMC can concieve.. but it does take a considerable amount of time investment, because you are essentially developing user interfaces not only for on-screen displays, but also for PDAs, tablets, cell phones, and other portable devices that can control a LinuxMCE system as well.

I will be posting a series of screencasts on using HA Designer, and hopefully this will encourage people to step forward and help us work on more UI possibilities.

-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:55:15 am »
I think they are referring to the usability and simplicity of the skinning engine of XBMC.  To be fair, LinuxMCE is capable of much more than XBMC, but as a user of the XBMC skinning engine (I wrote 90% of the original MC360 xml's if anyone follows the project), I can tell you it is much easier to work with XBMC's engine.  I'd love to see progress made on the skinnability of LinuxMCE as I personally don't much care for the current LinuxMCE UI and would love to participate in projects towards alternatives, but the learning curve is quite steep currently.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:23:42 am »
Have you been following my screencasts?

-Thom