For the last year or so, I've had a Kubuntu install on my PC, with freevo being sent from the PC out of my video cards TV-out, to the TV. Obviously...
Anyway, my monitor has become intermittent over recent months, so I've bought a laptop for my main use. I'm now looking at converting the desktops role to a more media-server one.
My queries(I'll try and keep them short and sweet!):-
1. The PC is connected to the internet via ethernet/cable modem, and acts as a gateway for the laptop via a second NIC. Will I be able to retain this configuration?
2. Network shares - I'd like to be able to backup the laptop to the desktop, and also share the media stored on it(I have a lot of music stored in FLAC and Ogg/Vorbis). Am I likely to run into any issues with it?
3. The PC is quite old, but should be fine(XP1700, 1gb DDR, GF4 Ti4200, 2x160gb, DVD, CDRW). If I wanted to add a Freeview(DVB-T) card, or even a cable(DVB-C) card, would I be able to use it as a PVR? I presume that LinuxMCE supports this, and I'm hoping the hardware would be good enough to do the job?
4. If I wanted to switch over to the monitor, for example to just hop on the internet, would it be as simple as switching to a different terminal? This is how I've had it set up over the last year, but with the main output going to the monitor rather than the TV...
5. I built(literally) a remote control receiver, and it works fine via lirc/IRkick. Will this be difficult to get working?
Apologies for what may be silly questions, I just want to know what I'm letting myself in for before committing to a thorough wipe and reinstall.