Author Topic: Display problem with nVidia 8600GT card on 1080p TV  (Read 8126 times)

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Display problem with nVidia 8600GT card on 1080p TV
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 03:02:43 am »
I must have spoken too soon...last night the 1080p was working. Today morning when I fire up the LMCE

Any suggestions are welcome. Will update this thread with my results.

Whoops - forgot to warn you. After you get your xorg.conf right, copy it over the Pluto version in the same directory. At certain times, the xorg.conf gets overwritten with the Pluto copy. I'm not sure when it happens - I know one of the times is when AVWizard starts, but there may be other times as well.

I generally keep a copy off the machine as well, together with several other files, so that anytime the machine is nuked or upgraded, I have copies.
Best Regards,
Richard

Sparkie

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 06:27:46 pm »
The GeForce 8600 is a pretty standard card nowadays. If better support was worked on now, it would save a lot of time for everyone trying to hack config files etc etc...

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:57 am »
The problems discussed didn't really relate to the video card, but rather the TV. That video card actually runs very well in Linux.

The only video card issue is that was discussed is a universal problem. Currently LMCE hardcodes which DVI port to use and has hardcoded modelines that don't work with all TVs. I have to put in a manually created modeline for my TV (the TV won't report the correct timings, either). For my other TV I must turn on EDID (actually on by default, but LMCE disables it) and remove the LMCE modeline.

FYI, if LMCE didn't hardcode which DVI port to use in Xorg.conf, Xorg and the nVidia drivers would select whichever port was currently active.

Sparkie

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 07:00:32 am »
I have a new Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p..

Well, after 3 hours of forum searches and all sorts of hacks at the xorg, I just wasnt satisfied with LinuxMCE picture quality. I rebooted into windows XP to see if it was the T.V. Windows XP booted up with a horrible resolution but it was enough to see the desktop. I simply went into the nvidia properties selected "Sharp T.V. 1080p resolution" "Apply" and I got a beautiful resolution and everything looked wonderful. Is LinuxMCE not capable of having a simple intuitive face like this? I hate nagging like this but I passionately want to get this going so I don't have to use Windows Vista for MCE. I am putting in the efforts to make it work, but simple things like this really push myself and other people further and further away from embracing the product.