Author Topic: What's the difference between EK_MediaType 3 & 5?  (Read 3754 times)

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
What's the difference between EK_MediaType 3 & 5?
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:24:01 am »
Howdy,

When a dvd is ripped, by default FK_FileFormat and FK_MediaSubType are not set.  It's kind of a pain to manually use pluto_admin to set them, so am working on a script to automate it.  While doing so I've noticed that the EK_MediaType is sometimes 3 and sometimes 5 (LinuxMCE DVD or LinuxMCE video file).  This got me to wondering what it should be, LinuxMCE DVD because it's a .dvd file or is LinuxMCE DVD suppose to mean a dvd disc in a player?  I searched the wiki and the forums and didn't find any enlightenment.

$ mysql
mysql> use pluto_media;
mysql> select Path,Filename,EK_MediaType from File where IsDirectory = '0' and Path like '/home/public/data/videos%' and FK_FileFormat is null;
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+--------------+
| Path                                     | Filename                                        | EK_MediaType |
+------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+--------------+
| /home/public/data/videos/Action          | The Art of War.dvd                              |            3 |
| /home/public/data/videos/Action          | Last Man Standing.dvd                           |            3 |
| /home/public/data/videos/Action          | Fair Game.dvd                                   |            3 |
| /home/public/data/videos/Comedy          | Operation Petticoat.dvd                         |            5 |
| /home/public/data/videos/Comedy          | Scooby-Doo 2  Monsters Unleashed  WS .dvd       |            5 |
| /home/public/data/videos/Comedy          | Support Your Local Sheriff.dvd                  |            3 |

FYI, these were all rip'ed with 0710B2. 

Thank you,
Roy

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What's the difference between EK_MediaType 3 & 5?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:29:09 pm »
you can do some experimenting, but I believe if the media type is set to DVD, then the DVD menu options will be avaiable when that media is played.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
Is there a Mantis bug reporting the failure to set the DVD's media type? Because though your workaround is useful, the underlying bug really should be fixed.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:09:43 pm »
Is there a Mantis bug reporting the failure to set the DVD's media type? Because though your workaround is useful, the underlying bug really should be fixed.

I think not setting FK_FileFormat is probably a bug as the ripper should know the source media.  To set FK_MediaSubType which describes content (TV Shows, Movies, Home Videos,...) will take user intervention, probably a change to the UI to prompt the user.  So I'll file two bugs.

you can do some experimenting, but I believe if the media type is set to DVD, then the DVD menu options will be avaiable when that media is played.

That makes sense.  Thank you. I'll investigate this and if a DVD has a menu but the EK_MediaType is being set to LinuxMCE video file, then I'll open a bug for it.

FYI here's some commands from this investigation:

Find missing FK_FileFormat or missing FK_MediaSubType:

mysql> select Path,Filename,FK_FileFormat,FK_MediaSubType from File where IsDirectory = '0' and Path like '/home/public/data/videos%' and (FK_FileFormat is null or FK_MediaSubType is null);

Set missing FK_FileFormat to DVD (DVD == 2):

mysql> update File set FK_FileFormat = '2' where IsDirectory = '0' and Path like '/home/public/data/videos%' and FK_FileFormat is null;

Set missing FK_MediaSubType to Movies (Movies == 2):

mysql> update File set FK_MediaSubType = '2' where IsDirectory = '0' and Path like '/home/public/data/videos%' and FK_MediaSubType is null;

Thank you,
Roy