Author Topic: Signals \ Wall Mounted TV's  (Read 4895 times)

mchapman

• View Profile
Signals \ Wall Mounted TV's
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:20:30 pm »
Hi,

How many of you guys have wall-mounted flat screen TV's with the MD mounted behind it? I am going to eventually mount one on a wall and put my MD behind it, but I am concerned about the possibility of the wireless remote signal getting blocked by the TV...any gotcha's I need to be worried about?

Thanks for any input,

Mike

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Signals \ Wall Mounted TV's
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:25:55 pm »
Hi,

How many of you guys have wall-mounted flat screen TV's with the MD mounted behind it? I am going to eventually mount one on a wall and put my MD behind it, but I am concerned about the possibility of the wireless remote signal getting blocked by the TV...any gotcha's I need to be worried about?

Thanks for any input,

Mike

We have tested this configuration with the Fiire remote & with an external IR receiver and we have seen no problems whatsoever in terms of remote control commands not being received.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 03:33:22 pm »
I'm running with that configuration now.. with a Fiire 1"..

The remote works fine.. wish the fiire did too.. locks up ALL the time, reboots on it's own, etc...
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:18:07 pm »
My bedroom MD is in the livingroom.. The fiire remote works through the wall with no problem.

mchapman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:08:22 am »
Thanks for the input guys...I had some concerns with LOS but from what I am learning my concerns are groundless.

Mike

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:38:18 am »
I thought about implementing the MD behind the panel as well, but we went a different route and added an MD below. Why? Simple. Usability. One of the things people tend bring a CD or DVD home. They don't want to walk into a closet where the server is situated to put the media into the drive. They go straight to the display, insert the media into the device and want to start watching/ hearing.

Yes, it does add "clutter" to the living room, but in my opinion, it is well worth it.

rgds
Oliver

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:49:27 am »
I thought about implementing the MD behind the panel as well, but we went a different route and added an MD below. Why? Simple. Usability. One of the things people tend bring a CD or DVD home. They don't want to walk into a closet where the server is situated to put the media into the drive. They go straight to the display, insert the media into the device and want to start watching/ hearing.

Yes, it does add "clutter" to the living room, but in my opinion, it is well worth it.

rgds
Oliver

Why does MD behind the panel mean no DVD? I was thinking of tucking my MD behind a wall-mounted panel as well, but I was assuming that I could have the edge of the MD case in line with the edge of the panel, so that the button on the DVD drive could be accessed from the side and a disk inserted vertically. Is this unworkable for some reason?

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »
I did not think about such a solution.

The main problem might be, that you are getting quite far away from the wall. Make sure your connection to the wall is stable enough.

rgds
Oliver