Author Topic: people who have made a media plugin, ANSWER!  (Read 12068 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: people who have made a media plugin, ANSWER!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 07:06:19 pm »
Thank you for helping out aaron.b, much appreciated! 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 07:34:57 pm »
Heh, I just wanted to point out aaron.b is the president of Pluto, Inc.

There are lots of pieces of code in LMCE that I would like to redesign, and talking to Aaron, he also knows of some pieces of code that aren't as elegant as they should be. This is the nature of software outside of the rarefied world of flight control, car break control and medical device control software.

Time constraints lead to hacks, code is not redesigned not rewritten as soon as more generality is required, etc. But since almost all of the software is there for you to read and understand, you can also fix the parts of the foundation you are not happy with and by just convincing a few other developers that the fix is needed it can be applied and now the problem is fixed for you and the next person trying to do the same thing.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 07:56:09 pm »
yeah, the primary issue i'm having is a complete lack of documentation in the area in which i am working, I've spent a month staring at this code, looking at the existing plugins, trying to figure out why my media plugin isn't even being attempted to be talked to, and when I decided to look at the base Media Plugin...all the frustrations totally boiled over.

I thank Aaron very much for his offer to help, and I will put my angst, differences, and other issues aside while we try to work something out.

-Thom

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 11:44:09 pm »
Aaron is certainly more than welcome on these forums and actively encouraged as he provides an insight into the code that none of us are going to get without working on it full time, like he has.

It will be good to have Aaron point out some of the reasoning behind some of the workarounds that have been done.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 02:43:54 am »
Aaron, I'll trade you your knowledge for my wife...
LOL

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.