Author Topic: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter  (Read 284444 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Java/ J2ME mobile orbiter
« Reply #330 on: August 26, 2009, 10:46:53 pm »
yeaugh, we may need another variation.

-Thom

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 27, 2009, 01:44:40 am »
I think so  :-[, maybe i can do it.

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
I post here some problems,

1) I followed 1:1 (as Hari said) the wiki instruction to build the dev envinroinment (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/JavaMO) but when i make, it return ERROR:Cannot find java.lang
 Anyway i create a Nokia6233.java class inside "com/linuxmce/javamo/devices" with some Keytranslation and i need a working env to test it.

This "road" is ok? and which other file we need to change to add the nokia6233 class?  Maybe in the phone detenction in JavaMO.java?

Code: [Select]
    private PhoneDevice detectPhone() {
83                 String platform = System.getProperty("microedition.platform");
84                 MOLogger.log(5, "Device:" + platform);
85                 if (platform != null) {
86                         if (platform.toUpperCase().indexOf("NOKIA") >= 0) {
87                                 MOLogger.log(5, "Detected as Nokia");
88                                 return new NokiaPhone();
89                         } else if (platform.toUpperCase().indexOf("SONYERICSSON") >= 0) {
90                                 MOLogger.log(5, "Detected as SonyEricsson");
91                                 return new SEPhone();
92                         }
94                 }
95                 return new NokiaPhone();
96         }

2) With KeyCodes.jar (as u see in the previous post in the previous page) i have too few button to control the orbiter. I need at least, in addiction to the numeric pad and the directional pad, a OK button and a BACK button. But i have only one (the green Take Call Button).  We should implement the square button in the center of the additional pad but i don't even know where to start to do this.

3) We need a custom skin variation i guess, the MO is all inside the folder "Mobile Orbiter" inside the skins/basic folder?

TNX for helping,
Martino.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:49:11 pm by massabuntu »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 28, 2009, 10:50:18 pm »
Actually, this falls under a new variation. This will require some code changes, I believe, and a new device template for your phone.

-Thom

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 28, 2009, 10:56:23 pm »
Hi massabuntu,

1) Can't help much with the dev. env., I got it working easily by using the wiki article. Might seem like your Java JDK might be faulty or not properly set up, but that is just a wild guess from my side....

This way seem OK, although there are still a right way and a wrong way. Is your Nokia6233 class a subclass of the Nokia class ?
This would be the right way to do it, if many keys have the same mapping.
And yes, you should add some detection for the 6233 to the section you pasted.

2) Does the center button  give you a key code? What about the soft-buttons (the two just below the screen), do they return a key code? Those two are also used in the orbiter. Not sure if you can get by with that few buttons, though. I have 5 buttons more than the ones you marked out on the image, and this is just enough.
Do you have volume keys also, they might be usable also...

3) Yes, maybe. But I think you should look into what capabilities you would get out of such a "light" mobile orbiter before starting to create a new variation.

best regards,
sambuca

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:24 pm »
different cell phone families should have their own variations, so we can create necessary UI images etc to match, as well as proper key mappings etc, while using the existing designObjs.

I am standing firm on this one.

-Thom

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 29, 2009, 10:06:47 am »
Thom,

I don't disagree with you, but we cannot possibly create a variation for every possible phone. Of course there will be a limit on how many phones we support and a few models might well be defined as the ideal phone. But for the other phones, we could get a long way with defining new key mappings.

As I see it, we should (at least) have a new variation for the "normal", most common cell phones variants, that considers the available buttons on those phones. And maybe a simpler one, which could fit the 6233 and similar phones.

But again, I wouldn't be opposed to having a variation for every phone family, I just don't know if the work will justify the gain. After all, the current mobile orbiter works fine on my SE phones with only key adjustments.

best regards,
sambuca

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 29, 2009, 11:43:05 am »
We will have to do both mapping and variations to pull it off.

The goal is to make sure:

(1) the keys work
(2) what you see on the screen jives with the key map. If I have to press (Soft Key 4) for "C" then we're doing something wrong.

-Thom

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 29, 2009, 12:19:35 pm »
Hi massabuntu,

1) Can't help much with the dev. env., I got it working easily by using the wiki article. Might seem like your Java JDK might be faulty or not properly set up, but that is just a wild guess from my side....

I'll look deeper.

This way seem OK, although there are still a right way and a wrong way. Is your Nokia6233 class a subclass of the Nokia class ?

The point is, when i look to the code, seems that the Nokia class did not translate any keys, like the nokia is basically the default keymapping. Anyway i guess my Nokia6233 is a subclass of phonedevice (This is my first time in Java and  i'm not a coder, so please be patient)

I would like to speak to you in the #devel channel so i can pastebin some code and u can easly look throught it.

2) Does the center button  give you a key code? What about the soft-buttons (the two just below the screen), do they return a key code? Those two are also used in the orbiter. Not sure if you can get by with that few buttons, though. I have 5 buttons more than the ones you marked out on the image, and this is just enough.
Do you have volume keys also, they might be usable also...

Neither the Soft-Buttons, The Central button, the volume button and the Camera Button give me a non 0 value. (But it sound strange to me)

For sure we add to start the variation work when we are sure we can manage the orbiter, anyway is not only a single phone variation 'cause you can found  this button layout in a lot of nokia models, even the economic newer ones.

br,
Martino.

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »
Guys, i'm stuck because of the lack of usable buttons i get from Keycodes.jar in my Nokia 6233.
I Hope you can give me a hint or any kind of workaround.

I have an idea, and look if we can work with that.

Speaking about Symbian s60 skin,
In normal screens of the orbiter, like this one

We can use, all the numeric buttons, asterisk and pound as theirself.
Directional pad left and right -> Softkey left and Softkey Right
Directional pad up and dowe -> OK and C
green button -> pencil

While Speaking about the Playlist skin or media skin or whatever skin without a numeric pad, we ca use

Directional Pad as itself.
Green button -> pencil
Numeric Button as their self
* -> like OK
# -> like C

We lost the softkeys but we don't really need in that screens. At least i hope.

Anyone as a better idea???

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 06, 2009, 09:49:47 pm »
Does anyone have any interest to this anymore??

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2009, 02:33:32 pm »
The Right Way (TM) would be to create a new skin for phones with a limited number of keys. I think this could use the same JavaMO code that we have now.

Other than that, I'm sorry but I don't think there is much interest in making a duct-tape solution. But if you got something you feel works for you, please let us know about it.

best regards,
sambuca

massabuntu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2009, 03:01:13 pm »
Well, with these assumptions i think i'll drop.
With that framework it's very hard to make a non duct-taped solution, you can't even use the central button of the pad, or the spft-buttons.

BR,
Martino.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 11, 2009, 02:14:50 pm »
can someone point me in the direction of a good virus free java game site. plz
And now, we just wait for the second spam-bot to come along and answer that question... :P
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 12, 2009, 01:06:11 pm »
can someone point me in the direction of a good virus free java game site. plz
And now, we just wait for the second spam-bot to come along and answer that question... :P

hmmm, yea strange how his profile claims to hail from the US yet his IP address is Latvia! Shall we leave as a cautionary tail, or delete summarily?!