Author Topic: update on motion version and add ons..  (Read 5753 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
update on motion version and add ons..
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:36:01 am »
Hi,

I had a closer look at motion web page and there seems to exist quite some new interesting things...

First of all, motion is now at 3.2.3 version and I guess it would be wise to upgrade somewhere in future :

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/DownloadFiles

Also there are some interesting add ons emerging :

Perl code (tutorial) on how to parse mjpeg streams from Motion (someday I guess orbiters will have mjpeg viewers)....
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/PerlParseMJPEGStream

python script (I guess it wouldn't be hard to write it in Perl or bash) for converting motion movies to 3gp and see it with mobile (interesting for in house and gprs orbiter operation)....
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/ConvertTo3gp

Few web and windows frontends :

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/EventCalendar

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/MotionCamViewerToy

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:52:45 am »
Just wondering if anyone has considered ZoneMinder.com
I might be a bit bias since I'm involved in the project but it has quite a bit to offer including PTZ, and motion tracking. I think the large problem is that Pluto uses Postgres and ZM uses MySQL.  Well I take that back, I see MySQL in the Pluto install. There are plans to make ZM support both in the near future. This would not be hard to make a wrapper for.
Regards,
Cordel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 11:34:08 pm »
Quote from: "cordel"
Just wondering if anyone has considered ZoneMinder.com
I might be a bit bias since I'm involved in the project but it has quite a bit to offer including PTZ, and motion tracking. I think the large problem is that Pluto uses Postgres and ZM uses MySQL.  Well I take that back, I see MySQL in the Pluto install. There are plans to make ZM support both in the near future. This would not be hard to make a wrapper for.
Regards,
Cordel

Hi,

nice to hear from zoneminder guy. I always liked zoneminder - particularly web interface... But somehow I have feeling that the best combination would be to have motion engine as backend and zoneminder interface.... I'm not sure about current situation, but motion took considerably less cpu with more cameras than Zoneminder at the time I did comparison on my machine.

Anyway I think that including both in Pluto would be great....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 11:56:46 pm »
Hi Rob,
In the last 8 months we have reduced the load signifcantly. Although I have never installed or run motion before I could not say. They are both great projects and from what I can tell track very much the same as far as features go. We do have a live cd and I maintain a single installer CD based on FC3. If you ever have the time and the desire, I'd be interested  to know what you think.

Unfortunatly building the wrapper is just a bit out of my reach for the moment since I only installed my first Linux distro Febuary last year and since I don't know anyone that has linux knowledge the learning curve can be steep (along with the fact any programing I have done started a month afterwards), speicaly since I try not to bug anyone (google is my instructor and a few reliable wikis).

By trade I'm just an RF/Telecom Electronics Engineer, so I find it really interesting to be doing things on the other side ;)
 Cheers,
Cordel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:33:13 am »
Hi Rob,
In the last 8 months we have reduced the load signifcantly. Although I have never installed or run motion before I could not say. They are both great projects and from what I can tell track very much the same as far as features go. We do have a live cd and I maintain a single installer CD based on FC3. If you ever have the time and the desire, I'd be interested  to know what you think.

I'm glad to hear that. How hard it is to try Zoneminder in existing pluto-debian system ?

Unfortunatly building the wrapper is just a bit out of my reach for the moment since I only installed my first Linux distro Febuary last year and since I don't know anyone that has linux knowledge the learning curve can be steep (along with the fact any programing I have done started a month afterwards), speicaly since I try not to bug anyone (google is my instructor and a few reliable wikis).

Cheers,
Cordel

Maybe you can animate zoneminder community to help. I think that Pluto is interesting project and probably it will draw attention....

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:43:00 pm »
At the moment there are unfortunately only maybe 12 people whom contribute code into ZM. A majority of those are just simple bash scripts. There are 4 of us whom really collaborate to any degree. Phillip Coombes the creator does most of the the coding for ZM, while Ross Melin and my self do simple bug fixes, compile packages, and maintain our Distro's.

ZM runs great on Debian but like I said it will take a bit for me to adjust to deb since we have been on RH.

I have a core setup now and will be working to get something setup for a media center shortly (could use any good pointer anyone has at this point, just PM me with those so we are not cluttering the posts with off topic stuff). Once I get comfortable with deb and how Pluto does things I'll hopefully be able to contribute.

Regards,
Cordel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 09:58:07 am »
Just an FYI...  We wrote our own automated, database driven compilation/Debian packaging system.  We can set you up with SVN access, then whenever you make changes to your main ZM repository, you could also commit it to ours.  In so doing, it will automatically compile (if necessary) and rebuild the Debian packages each night.  they then go through 2 daily tests: an automated stress-test simulator and human testing.  We have testers who setup and take down 4 Pluto systems each day.  When they confirm a release is stable it gets moved to production.  It's fully automated so you wouldn't actually need to learn about Debian's internals or how to make a Debian package--just checkin the files to SVN and indicate in the database what files get installed into which directories.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 10:56:46 am »
Hi,

I think that you can freely post to forums. For info to other users and attraction of contributors....

Regards,

Rob.