Author Topic: TFTP File not found Errors when MD's PXE  (Read 4717 times)

b-ran

• View Profile
TFTP File not found Errors when MD's PXE
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:47:15 pm »
I have a fresh install of MCE. I am using a Hybrid Core and and it is working. I wanted to add another MD when I did it I messed up the video and couldn't get the MD to work. So I went into the admin site and deleted the malfunctioning MD. Now I can't get any new MD's to start I can only use the Hybrid MD.

I get a TFTP file not found error when I try to PXE the same computer or another.

Do I needed to rebuild the TFTP files?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: TFTP File not found Errors when MD's PXE
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
Sounds like some of the files from the old netboot weren't cleaned up properly while others were.

Check under /tftpboot/, there should be a subdirectory called pxelinux.cfg containing files named after the mac-adresses of the diskless MDs, I suspect that's where the problem lies.  If you find them you could try moving the appropriate one out of the way by moving or renaming it.  They are created automaticly when a new MD boots the first time.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:54 am »
On the bottom of the Media Director admin page, there is a button to 'Setup Diskless'. Try running that again and ensure that it completes successfully (could take a little while)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:49:23 am »
Try what darrenmason said first, which is easier anyway.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

b-ran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 01:36:20 pm »
Thank you both for the help so far!!

I tried to setup diskless MD's and the admin site runs through it's configs but I sill fail to find files when tftp tries to run.

I also renamed the File in pxelinux.cfg and came to the same result.

In /tftpboot/ I also saw that I had two folders each with two items. They were /tftpboot/42 and /tftpboot/54. 42 and 54 are the numbers that were assigned to MD's in the past but they didn't work. I renamed then as well and saw no change.

I am using this PC normally but MCE finds it and asks me to set it up as a file server. Could the MAC address be recognized else where in MCE that would cause it to get a 192.168.80.248 IP instead of the 192.168.80.2 IP that I got when it booted with bad graphics config?

Again thanks for the Help!!

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 06:03:25 pm »
Thank you both for the help so far!!

I tried to setup diskless MD's and the admin site runs through it's configs but I sill fail to find files when tftp tries to run.

I also renamed the File in pxelinux.cfg and came to the same result.

In /tftpboot/ I also saw that I had two folders each with two items. They were /tftpboot/42 and /tftpboot/54. 42 and 54 are the numbers that were assigned to MD's in the past but they didn't work. I renamed then as well and saw no change.

I am using this PC normally but MCE finds it and asks me to set it up as a file server. Could the MAC address be recognized else where in MCE that would cause it to get a 192.168.80.248 IP instead of the 192.168.80.2 IP that I got when it booted with bad graphics config?

Again thanks for the Help!!

Try looking for the Mac address of your machine that will not pxe boot in Web Admin -> Advanced -> Configuration -> Unknown Devices

If you see a line with the 80.248 address then click the 'Unlock' button at the far right hand end of the line. Then try pxe booting the MD again and see if it announces itself properly this time.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

b-ran

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:09:04 am »
That didn't work either...

I think that I am going to go with a fresh install. I need to change out my NIC as well. I haven't put much on the system so I am not losing anything but time.

Thanks everyone for there help. I didn't even know where to start.