Author Topic: Updating UpdateMedia  (Read 12308 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Updating UpdateMedia
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 01:55:20 pm »
Is it possible to config the maillist to post to the developer forum, maybe  either posted as a daily thread throughout the day or post a daily digest each day?
why don't you use the web archives of mailman?

It's already a bit of a hassle logging into each of the the forums, the wiki and Mantis with separate logins. Convergence is our game; the people this project attracts will be sensitive to arbitrary partitions.
The pluto guys have some kind of a "MasterUsers" Table and are provisioning other systems from it. I'm thinking about a "simple sign on" system with ldap backend. We then could feed the wiki, sqlCVS, mantis and more to come from there.
What i wonder about if we should give every user a unique installation id. Its "1" for now...

but this goes completely off topic..

best regards and happy hacking,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 03:14:05 pm »
Or have a daily digest sent by mail... The Mailinglists supports daily digest instead of single-messeging...
The pluto guys have some kind of a "MasterUsers" Table and are provisioning other systems from it. I'm thinking about a "simple sign on" system with ldap backend. We then could feed the wiki, sqlCVS, mantis and more to come from there.
I guess you mean something like an openID-System for the developers community ? I don't know about the current forum and mantis and so on, but phpbb does support it.

I guess, it wasn't too bad to have a known forum-admin as well as mantis. For the trac-environment and mailinglist, there is a maintainer with root that we know exists and cares as well as there have been admins promoted for the wiki, but a moderator on the forum could split this topic for example. So that is a real need for both, the forum and mantis.

What i wonder about if we should give every user a unique installation id. Its "1" for now...
I definately prefer a non-IDed version of LinuxMCE. If someone wants to be registered and unique, they may of course get a different one, but from the privacy perspective and data-protection we cannot give everyone a unique ID. We would start joining M$ with their policy but without their (official) reason they have of preventing piracy.

Best regards,

Andreas

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 04:15:38 pm »
Or... instead of spreading ourselves and our resources thinner then they already are, we could use this very forum, like we've always done before. 

And as far as the wiki admins go, that has been a pretty big disaster so far, yet another great example of the need for people that are actually a part of this community, and not on their own island doing their own thing without any regards towards the needs and wishes of the community.

Unified login would be nice, but I for one won't be holding my breath.

Edit:

Also I think the last thing we'd need is a bunch of forum moderators pushing everybody around, that didn't work out very well in the wiki either.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:30:45 pm by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 04:48:59 pm »
Or... instead of spreading ourselves and our resources thinner then they already are, we could use this very forum, like we've always done before. 

And as far as the wiki admins go, that has been a pretty big disaster so far, yet another great example of the need for people that are actually a part of this community, and not on their own island doing their own thing without any regards towards the needs and wishes of the community.

Unified login would be nice, but I for one won't be holding my breath.

Edit:

Also I think the last thing we'd need is a bunch of forum moderators pushing everybody around, that didn't work out very well in the wiki either.

I 100% agree Zaerc.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 06:12:40 pm »
Or have a daily digest sent by mail... The Mailinglists supports daily digest instead of single-messeging...ser a unique installation id. Its "1" for now...
That would still split developer discussions in the same community into two separated discussion areas: the list and the Web forum.

What I'm talking about is subscribing the Web forum to the list, and feeding the list from the forum (preserving author fields in each direction), so the forum has all the list posts, and the list has all the forum posts (or at least "new post" notices). With each list thread in a separate forum topic, or at least each daily list digest posted in its own topic.

But only if there's existing SW to just install or quickly glue them together. If not, then really all discussion should go in the forum, with the list just for pushed activity notices.