Author Topic: nVidia Driver Installed - Can't run A/V Wizard, Screen issues  (Read 4328 times)

LoSt

• View Profile
nVidia Driver Installed - Can't run A/V Wizard, Screen issues
« on: August 22, 2007, 02:11:58 am »
I'm running UI2 w/ Alpha blending, my problem was that I couldn't get the DVD remote to pop up during Video play back. ( I have to hit F1 then choose DVD Menu ) I have an NVidia GeForce 7600GS AGP video card that I thought could handle the higher setting. I was thinking that it wasn't getting the proper Video Acceleration and the CPU was running so hard to play a movie that the remote wouldn't pop up.

I came across a post that said something about OpenGL acceleration. So I changed it in the Advanced Options, well that just made it worse, my CPU temp shot up to 110 deg, from an already high 99. So I put Video Acceleration back to 'xv' and tried installing the NVIDIA driver from their website. I followed the instructions on the LinuxMCE wiki page. When I rebooted and tried to run the A/V Wizard, I now get an error that keeps looping at the "login@dcerouter: " portion of the start up sequence. If I let it restart normally the UI Menu flickers as I move the mouse across the options. and DVD playback now as flickers and cuts across the screen. It didn't do that before, every thing was smooth other than the menu wouldn't come up while playing a video/DVD.

Anybody have any idea what config files might have gotten changed so that I can't run the A/V Wizard anymore? Or why the screen now flickers?

My set up:

Gigabyte Mobo
1G Ram PC2100
P4 2.53 Ghz
MSI Nvidia GeForce 7600GS Video card.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:22:33 am by LoSt »

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: nVidia Driver Installed - Can't run A/V Wizard, Screen issues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:46:30 am »
Check the settings in the media director page. As a default set the driver to NV and the deinterlace to the lowest setting.
Make sure you are using the appropriate nvidia driver for your card. In the KDE desktop look at the display section and make sure its the nvidia driver., not the open source or the vesa driver.

Also run sudo nvidia-settings at the command prompt to open the nvidia control panel. Make sure the sync buttons are checked. This reduces the tearing.

You may need to restart to get all the settings right.

LoSt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 04:52:59 pm »
thanks for the command. I checked all the boxes that said anything about sync. I also looked in the KDE desktop settings, and I noticed it was using the 'nv' driver, but the 'Generic' radio button was selected and I couldn't change it to 'Proprietary'.

Also, the A/V Wizard is still broke. I get the following error during start-up.

Code: [Select]
router login: [227.016908]  CIFS VFS: Send error in SETFSUnixInfo = -5
After about 10 times of this, I hit the restart button, and it starts up normally. Any ideas?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 05:27:36 pm »
First you need to get the nvidia driver installed correctly. I don't know why it isn't. There are instructions on the web for setting it up from a console and you could install adept (if it isn't already) and install it from there.
The Video wizard needs to run before xwindows starts and on the current version the system restarts to run it.

Someone else may have more info on this, I'm running low on knowledge fast here.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

LoSt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:46:35 pm »
Have a look at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

I was following those instructions to install the driver. It said to run A/V Wizard to configure the driver, but I can't get the Wizard to run.

Since this is a fresh install I think I'm just gonna wipe it away and try to install the driver on a fresh kubuntu install.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 01:00:18 am »
A little further down you should be able to find some instructions on configuring a minimal setup that should allow you to run the AVWizard at least.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous