Author Topic: Gentoo ebuilds  (Read 4315 times)

ewildgoose

• First post!
    • View Profile
Gentoo ebuilds
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:33:06 pm »
Hi,  Very interesting project you have going here.

I would be interested to have a stab at getting the raw source packages bundled up in such a way that I can have a go at creating gentoo ebuilds for the parts of linuxmce that I want to run.  I read that the source is not yet available, but is "coming soon", but could we also get a bit of an overview of the various packages added to the wiki in order that I could have a bash at this?

Perhaps it would be possible to have a read-only public svn repo and use svn hot-copy to keep it in sync with the pluto svn where you are developing?

Thanks for listening

Ed W

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Gentoo ebuilds
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:42:43 am »
I was considering doing that as well, but I need to get my system up and running first...

The problem with doing this on Gentoo is that LinuxMCE was designed for Ubuntu and so most, if not all the, auto-configuration would have to be modified to use Gentoo's config files and scripts. Of course you will still have the issues of compiling using different versions of many libraries and programs. This will definitly be more than a small effort...

The first and relatively easy ebuild to create would be the orbiter. Tackling the whole Media Director would be a chore especially considering that LinuxMCE does various sanity checks and monitoring that would have to be modified to support Gentoo. Once that's done doing the core will be easier (mainly because the bulk of the hard stuff was just done), but still a rather large effort. Of course the core should be on Gentoo Hardened, which will have it's own set of issues.