Author Topic: No "Follow Me" with audio-cd  (Read 3610 times)

klara

• View Profile
No "Follow Me" with audio-cd
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:23:43 pm »
I'm running LinuxMCE 0704. The "Follow Me" option works fine with a Video-CD but not with an Audio-CD. Even the basic function to insert an Audio-CD in one MD and hear it an other MD doesn't work. Does anyone have the same experience?

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No "Follow Me" with audio-cd
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 07:21:45 am »
I haven't tested it, but I think it just doesn't work yet because the low-level mechanism used for transporting the discs doesn't with discs that don't have filesystems (ie audio cd's).

klara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:25:58 pm »
Thank you for your reply.
Do you have any idea if someone is working on this issue, because it is a basic function.
In addition: Thank you to the team for excellent work.

Klara

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:15:06 pm »
I think I noticed the same earlier on with Beta2, I just ripped the CDs to the harddrive and never payed any attention to it afterwards.  That way you can just play them on any (capable) media director in the house.

If I understand webpaul1 correctly, it would probably require some changes in the way LinuxMCE handles media.  With non-audio CDs (or DVDs) there are files on the disc which can be shared using conventional "network shares", audio CDs don't have these files but audio tracks instead.  One option would be to stream those audio tracks seperately to wherever you want to play them, which is a whole different ballgame. 

When the CD is ripped however, the audio becomes neat files on the harddrive that can be shared over the network in a conventional way.  Since I reckon this is how most people use it I doubt there will be much effort put into making this work, but that's just my thought.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous