Author Topic: No Media?  (Read 3102 times)

pauld

• View Profile
No Media?
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:57:20 am »
I have just installed 0704 & I just cant get it to see my media on my server.

My server has two folders /media/videos & /media/music. On starting LinuxMCE my shares are found no problem & I set them up as described in the wiki. I can now see my media server listed under devices in the admin page & I can also see my shares listed under my media server. This to me seems correct. However there is no files being shown in either music or videos.

when I go into Files & Media > Media Files Sync in /home/public/data/other I can see my 2 shares in there listed as Files on Disc. I then have the option of selecting a type and adding these to the database.

I have tried doing this but it just seems to list the share as file with no files in it. none of the documentation is clear how to get the files to show in LinuxMCE it just assumes this will happen once the share is mounted.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

pauld

• View Profile
Re: No Media?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 06:09:35 pm »
ok I really need some help now - this is driving me mad. Been trying most of the day to get this working. I actually had it working once, but I must have changed something & now it is as before.

I can only assume I have a simple setting wrong somewhere, but I just can't find it.

My shares work fine for everything else except LinuxMCE the shares are set as NFS and Samba.

Here are the settings I have for samba

Device Info #62
Description *    Windows Share: movies
Device Template =   Windows Share #1768    
Device Template Comments    
This device is controlled via = office    
Room = office
Entertain areas    office
Home Theater
Manually Configure EA    = Auto configure
IP Address    192.168.0.220
MAC Address    
Ignore On/Off =   Off

Device data
PK_Users = Public   
Share Name    movies
Username = blank   
Password = blank   
Use Automatically = blank   
Directories = blank   
Filesystem    = blank
Free Disk Space in MBytes    
Serial Number    \\192.168.0.220\movies
Auto-assign to parents room    
Max File Size = blank   
Password Required = no   
Readonly = no   
Online = yes   

Thanks

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No Media?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:16:41 am »
A quick thing to try.  Change the setting to 'use LinuxMCE's directory structure'.  Reboot.  It will create public\data\videos and public\data\audio folders on your network share.  Try moving the media to those 2 folders.  And on the linuxmce box, /home/public/data/videos/ (and audio) will contain symlinc's to those folders, which will be mounted in /mnt/device/xxx.

now go into media files sync, under videos, confirm it has the share, and then see if the files are there with the icon indicating they are already in the database and on disk.  Then see if they show up in media browser.

One problem when you say not to use linuxmce's directory structure (which means it's root directory is mounted in /home/public/data/other) is that the UpdateMedia daemon which catalogs the media ends up seraching the entire share.  If you have zillions of files, this is very slow.  But there's no other way since UpdateMedia can't know what directories really have media needing scanning and what doesn't.

So my recommendation is to use LinuxMCE's directory structure whenever your network share has a bunch of stuff besides just media so UpdateMedia isn't wasting tons of time trying to catalog non-media files.