Author Topic: Network Configuration issues during install  (Read 13368 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network Configuration issues during install
« on: July 17, 2005, 10:04:55 pm »
Here's my situation :? :

Installing latest release of Pluto Core - Hybrid.  Everything looks good until trying to "Configure the Network with DHCP".  Get the following error:

Network autoconfiguration failed

Your network is probably not using the DHCP protocol. Etc..

I recently purchased and installed 2 Realtek Semiconductor Co. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet cards.  Not sure if it's a compatibility issue.

I installed a recent release of Fedora and the network cards worked perfect, but once installing Pluto - nada.

Bear with me - new to networking.  If anyone has any helpful info I would very much appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance!

~Jeffrey

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:06:19 am »
Radu said he spoke to you and you're going to try Debian's newer installer, and if that works, we will upgrade our kick-start cd.  Correct?  Let us know what happens, please.  Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 04:25:46 pm »
Correct - I should have some time this evening to install - I'll post the results here.

Thanks for the help!

~J

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 06:09:35 pm »
Correct - I should have some time this evening to install - I'll post the results here.

Thanks for the help!

~J

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
and the results......
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:18:12 am »
Well, I tried installing the latest Debian release and am getting the same results..... Network still can't configure using DHCP....

Any other suggestions?  Has anyone else had these issues?

Thanks again,
~J

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Update.....
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 02:26:50 am »
Well, I tried the install on another machine and it went flawlessly.  Still not sure what the issue was on the first box.

Thanks for the assistance Radu!

~J

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
DHCP Problem
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 12:30:46 pm »
I am having the same problem with the install.

"Network Autoconfiguration Failed"

This is the first time I have tried Pluto but I do currently use VDR with streamdev and VLC so I am not a total stranger to this stuff.

I have tried it on three out of the 5 's I have at home with the same results.

The PC's I have tried are custom home PC's, I do have in addition to the 3 already tested 2 Asus Pundit-R's but one is running VDR and the other 2003 Server and I dont really want to take them off-line.

Any Pointer would be apprecieated as this look a sweet project.

Regards
BoOtLoAdEr

Build 2.0.0.28

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 02:16:35 pm »
Some cards seem to be problematic with Sarge's installer (especially Gigabit cards). I wish I had one of those 8169 cards here to play with, because it is supported (except for the recalled models which reported themselves as 8139 thus the wrong drivers were loaded). The cards that work here are: VIA Rhine II (on board), Broadcom BCM5705 (on board), Intel 82801BD PRO/100 (on-board), Intel eepro100 (PCI), Realtek 8139 (PCI).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Complete List of Cards
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 04:44:59 pm »
I have the same problem. 7 different cards and 3 machines. Does anyone have a complete list of known cards, that work?

Another thought I had was compile the driver, but the "make" command doesn't seem to install with the Kick Start. I am open to any help here.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 05:17:48 pm »
I'll probably compile a "supported network cards" list at some point in time according to what the modules report as "supported". Current kernel is 2.6.13.2.

In the mean time, which cards did you test?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 09:39:03 pm »
Quote from: "radu.c"
I'll probably compile a "supported network cards" list at some point in time according to what the modules report as "supported". Current kernel is 2.6.13.2.

In the mean time, which cards did you test?

Hi,

I'm not sure if related, but today I tried to network boot Asus Pundit for diskless MD (disabled on board network card, put int PCI 8139 and Etherboot CD ROM).

It gets kernel and image, but then cannot nfs mount, cause network is unreachable (I thought that 8139 is well supported card....).

Any idea ?

Thanks,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 10:26:16 am »
I don't know Etherboot. Possibly it's doing something wrong. If you find a Boot ROM for the Realtek 8139 and it still doesn't boot, then I'm doing something wrong and I'll have to fix it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 08:57:36 pm »
I don't know Etherboot. Possibly it's doing something wrong. If you find a Boot ROM for the Realtek 8139 and it still doesn't boot, then I'm doing something wrong and I'll have to fix it.

Hi,

I'll give some more info. I made bootable CD image for this card. It finds it on boot, the finds PXE server, gets kernel and initrd image and then starts linux system (but this is already part of diskless image)....

Then I guess it would need to nfs mount and there it stops cause network is not working. At that stage I cannot dmesg, ssh into it, to get more info...

Should diskless image work with 8139 card or can I somehow determine it to load proper kernel module (and what kernel module is for this card) ?

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 06:24:45 pm »
Quote from: "tinia"

Hi,

I'll give some more info. I made bootable CD image for this card. It finds it on boot, the finds PXE server, gets kernel and initrd image and then starts linux system (but this is already part of diskless image)....

Then I guess it would need to nfs mount and there it stops cause network is not working. At that stage I cannot dmesg, ssh into it, to get more info...

Should diskless image work with 8139 card or can I somehow determine it to load proper kernel module (and what kernel module is for this card) ?

Regards,

Rob.

You can mount the initrd in a temporary location and examine its contents: mount -o loop -t cramfs <initrd.img> /mount/point. Look in lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/net for 8139too. If it's not in there it means I missed it.

1. You'll have to uninstall the kernel from that image (easy way out): chroot <diskless root> dpkg --purge kernel-image-2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686
2. Remove the /tftpboot/<ip> directory
3. Edit /usr/pluto/bin/Create_Diskless_FS.sh and add 8139too to the modules list
4. Run /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_Setup.sh, which will call Create_Diskless_FS.sh, which will install the kernel back, which will create the initrd with that module in it
5. Should boot now.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 09:25:13 pm »

You can mount the initrd in a temporary location and examine its contents: mount -o loop -t cramfs <initrd.img> /mount/point. Look in lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/net for 8139too. If it's not in there it means I missed it.

Hi,

I examined initrd image and module seems to be there....
Code: [Select]
dcerouter_260:~/mount/lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/net$ ls
3c509.ko    b44.ko       epic100.ko    natsemi.ko   sis900.ko  via-rhine.ko
3c59x.ko    e1000        fealnx.ko     ne2k-pci.ko  sk98lin    yellowfin.ko
8139cp.ko   e100.ko      forcedeth.ko  ne.ko        tg3.ko
8139too.ko  eepro100.ko  hp100.ko      pcnet32.ko   tlan.ko
8390.ko     eexpress.ko  mii.ko        r8169.ko     tulip
dcerouter_260:~/mount/lib/modules/2.6.13.2-vanilla-pluto-1-686/kernel/drivers/net$

Can I somehow debug or trace what happens ?

Regards,

Rob.