Author Topic: DHCP server disabled at first, then enabled?  (Read 4055 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
DHCP server disabled at first, then enabled?
« on: November 02, 2005, 06:11:48 pm »
Does it have any effect on the system if I choose disable for the DHCP server under installation, and then after the installation is finnished I then enable it?

I'm thinking if there are any firewall roules or settings that are added depending on the choise I make under installation...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 12:59:21 pm »
If you choose not to enable DHCP, the networking will be configured differently. Specifically, you won't get the second network card/alias if you choose not to enable DHCP, which will cause you some problems (it won't be that simple to add the alias - you'll have to make manual changes in the database).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 01:36:52 pm »
The reason I ask is that I don't want to depend on the Pluto system for internet access, like the router. I want to have a separate router without DHCP-enabled, but as the gateway, just for routing. And then I would like to have Pluto as the DHCP-server(for media directors and plug-and-play).

But because of recent problems I find it hard to relay on Pluto for complete routing and gateway services. Especially cause the network stops functioning when my graphic card stopped working(cant se the relation).

And I can't be offline during a reinstallation(cause of some problems), I know it's just 10-15 minutes, but that's to long.

So, I want a separate gateway without DHCP, and then I wan't to edit pluto's DHCP-config to use the other router as the gateway, and let the clients know that as well.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 02:07:24 pm »
Your graphics and networking issues are a mistery to me so far. And setting up DHCP on it to say the Core is not a gateway (i.e. give out your gateway's IP address instead of its own) can only be done using hacks for now and they'll get overwritten at each upgrade.