Author Topic: Better Media Organization / Browser  (Read 25997 times)

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Better Media Organization / Browser
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 06:54:09 am »
C'mon, you don't need me to jump in to code (I'm not a coder). For what I could read on this thread, there is plenty of people that wants to work on LinuxMCE. I bring more value as a user/tester  :D and even, yes, as an advocate  ::)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2008, 07:52:41 am »
erasmix - I have already responded on your other thread. LMCE already does the file/folder heirarchy view and always has. It just isn't working on your system. Fix that and this issue will go away.

And read more! You'll find that all those other people asking for the same thing, you mentioned, were all equally mistaken thinking it couldn't do it as well. It can, it just defaults to Sort by Title rather than Sort by Filename. They just needed to change that in the menu and away they went. Your issue is obviously deeper, and likely to do with the way you added the share initially.

The responses you get can be quite terse on something like this because people have had to answer the same question time and time again, as people don't search first to look for the simple answer to their question (albeit I acknowledge yours is a different issue, and a genuine one!)

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2008, 08:16:38 am »
Yes Collin, and I'm sorry. I made this post before your answer came in on the other topic. Right now I'm doing a clean install and will give it another shot. I sincerely appreciate your help :)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2008, 03:03:57 pm »
no worries - I see that you mention your share is on the external network, which would certainly limit the autodiscovery functions! Either way, NFS is not my thing - Roy knows all about that stuff, and it seems like he is giving you a hand, so good luck!

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 04:14:56 am »
right now, the only way is to go into the media files sync, and adjust the attributes of each individually..this is why I want to rewrite it.

-Thom

FWIW IMHO - this would be a key for people migrating existing data or linking to a NAS (which a bunch of rips).

I am browsing via filename currently (which is fine) - mainly because I can't be bothered editing all the attributes via the admin tool... one by one... by one...

Thanks Thom  ;D

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 12:15:24 am »
If you just want to edit the attributes, you can do this in any mp3 id3 tag editor, or even in the properties of the files in Windows. This will embed the attributes into the files, then UpdateMedia will come along and bring them all into the database. Much easier than using the web admin....

rodercot

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 02:51:45 pm »
Has anyone looked at My Movies, It is now a full database online with User Contribution it is a back end/front end solution. currently for windows but does run on SQL has support for DVD, Hd, BD, TV series, specials, server, client relationship and they are looking right now to port to other apps. I have posted a little something on there feature request forum. I have been a user since it,s began and I have upgraded my system along the way so all my movies are still catalogued in the MM database even though I switched to XBMC on an xbox.  http://www.mymovies.dk/home.aspx

I setup my NAS on my external newtwork (hint add the IP and the MAC address when adding it as a device) It scanned all my music and movies 9 drives - My Music is all FLAK ripped from the CD and recoded with EAC to best way, Id3 embedded and then all my movies are VOB again ripped from the original. It synced all my data into the Other/ directory as it is suppose to. NO cover art and no metadata even though the cover art and data is embedded. My Movies have their cover art in the same folder as the movie with folder.jpg and no cover art is displayed - This is just an FYI. It did not find the art as supposed to. I am fixing that now.

Rgds,

Dave in Canada

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 05:39:31 pm »
Try sorting by filename instead of title.

It it possible to use that sort option as default? Because each time after reboot my core/hybrid I have to choose it again.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2008, 07:10:20 am »
No. Same when you reload the router - very annoying. I logged a mantis on this months ago, but it hasn't gone anywhere yet, understandably low on the priority list :)

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2008, 08:34:19 am »
No. Same when you reload the router - very annoying. I logged a mantis on this months ago, but it hasn't gone anywhere yet, understandably low on the priority list :)

That's very said :(  I don't think that it's difficult to do. Will dig the code :)
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: just jumping in
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2008, 04:00:44 am »

It not advocates we need so much as people who are willing to take on the task and DO it. People are working on a lot of things. So jump in  ;D

Working involves not just coding but updating wikis, writing documentation, and also spending the time to document issues back to the developers so that they can improve things.  I have spent a LOT of time investigating the horrid area of Linux compatible TV tuners, and have documented my findings back to the linuxtv wiki.  I personally think this is also useful work.

I have to agree with other people on this forum, it seems that there is a "hair trigger" mentality here.  It is not really what I would class as a friendly forum, I get the feeling you have to be careful what you say or you will get crisped to a cinder.  Sometimes just for reiterating or agreeing with what someone else has commented on.  Definitely not the tone of say the Oztivo mailing list (where the same Qs get asked a lot of times but always get patiently answered, and yes I did my share of this tedious replying when I had a hacked TiVo), or the Mythtv forums.

I work with large UNIX computer systems (banks, retail etc).  K-Mart do rollouts of new systems or upgrades to their stores.  They have pilot rolllout stores where they test their procedures for installation/upgrades by having the store personnel carry out the process.  The rule is that if the user breaks the install/upgrade, then it is the fault of the developers, and it goes back for more bullet-proofing.  Same should be true of usability- the fact that people are complaining about the same thing many times says that it is an issue and needs to be fixed.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2008, 05:22:43 am »
Not sure where you are going with the Kmart story, you certainly can't compare a commercial project with a OSS project in that way for what should be obvious reasons.

It is certainly true that some get overly worked up in this forum, but frankly that is hardly unusual for forums generally. You will find many regulars still posting (patiently) the same answers to the same questions all through the forum. The answer is, just don't get precious about the odd rude comment and don't return fire. But most importantly, try to avoid these situations by doing at least a modicum of searching and research before posting a question - it really is inconsiderate to ask a question that has been answered many times already - basically it says, I'm too lazy to look and I expect existing forum members to spoon feed me! And THAT is common to all forums.

Yes, doing documentation, wikis, bug report, etc is all helping the project, at the same time the real hard work is the coding!

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2008, 10:46:45 am »
Not sure where you are going with the Kmart story, you certainly can't compare a commercial project with a OSS project in that way for what should be obvious reasons.

Yes, doing documentation, wikis, bug report, etc is all helping the project, at the same time the real hard work is the coding!

Kmart story was to say don't blame the users for complaining if something gives them pain.  "The end user is right" is not always true but gives you a reason to at least consider that they might be.

And yes I think everyone recognises that the coding is long hard work, but rewarding. I have done some coding so know the late nights and the hair-tearing with bugs.  The documentation and wikis etc are tedious and are not rewarding in the same way.

Monkgs

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2008, 06:06:02 pm »
And yes I think everyone recognises that the coding is long hard work, but rewarding. I have done some coding so know the late nights and the hair-tearing with bugs.  The documentation and wikis etc are tedious and are not rewarding in the same way.

What's your point?

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 01:55:47 am »
The point is, obviously, that we should be grateful for the people who don't code but write documentation, because lets face it nobody wants to write documentation! I work for a software company and it's easy to get a patch, but you try and get release notes, or an updated install guide, and you're in trouble! ;-)