Author Topic: LinuxMCE... Pluto fork? Reincarnate?  (Read 4180 times)

edandanumber

• View Profile
LinuxMCE... Pluto fork? Reincarnate?
« on: June 20, 2007, 02:02:02 am »
I recently installed linux MCE and got things running - I'm happy to see this project is slowly but surely being realized.

My question is, what's the relationship between LMCE and Pluto, beyond the obvious? The Pluto stuff looks like it had more polish, although was lacking in features... if you try to install Pluto from it's ISO's on top of LMCE, it actually complains that you already have a newer version.

Just curious. Neither project really "references" the other, although Pluto seems to be pretty much dead...

jerry finn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE... Pluto fork? Reincarnate?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:46:42 am »
I found something while browsing the wiki pages, maybe it helps:

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/History

padrino

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE... Pluto fork? Reincarnate?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:48:05 pm »
I recently installed linux MCE and got things running - I'm happy to see this project is slowly but surely being realized.

My question is, what's the relationship between LMCE and Pluto, beyond the obvious? The Pluto stuff looks like it had more polish, although was lacking in features... if you try to install Pluto from it's ISO's on top of LMCE, it actually complains that you already have a newer version.

Just curious. Neither project really "references" the other, although Pluto seems to be pretty much dead...

Another posted pointed ou the history, in this I wanted to address the question of whether Pluto is dead or not. The OSS edition does lose focus from time to time and I think the developers have recently been spending time on some commercial endevors that push the time line. For example Monster Inc.'s (Monster Cable) high end home automation system is a customized Pluto and as far as I know the team has spent a fair amount of time working things like that.