Author Topic: Network configuration overwrite and other assorted questions  (Read 3555 times)

gwyden

• View Profile
Why oh why does linuxmce overwrite my interfaces file in /etc/network?   Now for my situation:  I am still working on running cat6 to each room but until then I have to use a netgear wireless adapter. Once Ubuntu is installed I have to use a thumbdrive to get a few things installed before I can use the wireless (namely ndiswrapper[PITA], and wpa_supplicant[thankfully already there]).  Internal wireless runs WPA-PSK so in order to get it to work at boot I had to modify the /etc/network/interfaces file to include
Code: [Select]
pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

When Linuxmce does its thing my precious interfaces file is overwritten  :'(     

Also will this even work for the whole DHCP takeover? (current DHCP provided by a 2Wire modem/4port switch provided by the internet company and can be turned off)

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Network configuration overwrite and other assorted questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:21:50 am »
Heh, I had some problems with it taking over the wifi on my box as well.  I found a fairly inexpensive wireless bridge for about $40 that allows me to join a switch to the network.  I don't recall if it supported WPA or not (i have too many wifi that only support WEP in the house to use it), but it turned out to be a much easier solution than running cat5 to my living room.

http://3btech.net/mowe80wietbr.html is the one I got, I'm sure there are plenty of other choices out there, but I've been very happy with it.

HTH,

Stu

gwyden

• View Profile
Re: Network configuration overwrite and other assorted questions
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:44:41 am »
Heh, I had some problems with it taking over the wifi on my box as well.  I found a fairly inexpensive wireless bridge for about $40 that allows me to join a switch to the network.  I don't recall if it supported WPA or not (i have too many wifi that only support WEP in the house to use it), but it turned out to be a much easier solution than running cat5 to my living room.

http://3btech.net/mowe80wietbr.html is the one I got, I'm sure there are plenty of other choices out there, but I've been very happy with it.

HTH,

Stu

Yeah I would like to give that a shot but I would rather not spend any extra cash until i can get this working and see if I like it ;)