Author Topic: Ripping Failed  (Read 9141 times)

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Ripping Failed
« on: April 27, 2007, 11:14:09 am »
Hi all,

Im successfully using my LinuxMCE box now which is great. Its only in UI1 at the moment but I still think it rocks!!

I have however come up with a problem. I am unable to rip and audio CD to MP3 or whatever format it rips to.

It goes through the motions when i click "copy cd" such as where I want to save it to but then a message comes up stating that "Ripping Failed" with no other information as to why this has happened.

I cant eject the CD either after I do this either which forces me to reset the machine.

I see that i need to go into a terminal from somewhere to maybe try debug the cd ripping error. I saw a similar post about dvds and this error. However im not sure how to get into the terminal from my LinuxMCE box? Or could I ssh in from another machine would this work??

So to sum up:

1) My CD Ripping error "Ripping Failed"
2) Ejecting a CD after this error
3) Finding the Terminal

Thanks in advance

Matt

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ripping Failed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 11:35:10 am »
ctrl+alt+f2 for entering in terminal. if you are entered in a terminal, use the umount command to eject the cd. also, use ripDiskWrapper.sh from /usr/pluto/bin to rip the cd. if there are problems you should see some errors. also, when you try to rip the cd from the grafic interface, try to look in DCERouter.log and 26_Disk_Drive.log.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:40:23 am »
Excellent I will look at these options many thanks for your time and help.

Will report my findings here.

Cheers

Matt

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
Right finally got a second to try the stuff put.

When i try to run ripDiskWrapper.sh from the terminal using:

/usr/pluto/bin/ripDiskWrapper.sh

I get the following error:

/usr/plutp/bin/Config_Ops.sh: line 209: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

then under that I get:

/usr/pluto/bin/ripDiskWrapper.sh <Disk_Drive device id> <job id> ................

I think these are the usage commands for ripDiskWrapper.sh im not entirely sure.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Im not sure what I should specify for the usage commands though to be honest being a bit of a new person to the LinuxMCE scene.

Any further help on this matter would be great as I have bought a new HD for my music and its just sitting there waiting for me to use:)

Thanks in advance.

Matt

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:26:39 am »
Ok it will copy a DVD to the HD fine with no problems at all. I was amazed at how easy it was to get ripped and the speed was excellent.

Sadly though My CD Ripping will not work. Im not sure if this is anything to do with it but I may have selected MP3 in the setup and not MP3, will that make any difference?

Cheers in advance

Matt

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:45:10 am »
Right finally got a second to try the stuff put.

When i try to run ripDiskWrapper.sh from the terminal using:

/usr/pluto/bin/ripDiskWrapper.sh

I get the following error:

/usr/plutp/bin/Config_Ops.sh: line 209: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

then under that I get:

/usr/pluto/bin/ripDiskWrapper.sh <Disk_Drive device id> <job id> ................

I think these are the usage commands for ripDiskWrapper.sh im not entirely sure.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Im not sure what I should specify for the usage commands though to be honest being a bit of a new person to the LinuxMCE scene.

Any further help on this matter would be great as I have bought a new HD for my music and its just sitting there waiting for me to use:)

Thanks in advance.

Matt
From what I read, I think you ran the script as the regular user. You have to run it as root, otherwise chances are high that it won't work at all, and also give mysterious errors.

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 03:28:58 pm »
Ahh I will try running it as root then later when I get home.

I will report back my findings.

Cheers

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 09:04:43 pm »
Ok I tried running the ripping command as root.

It then displayed the usage options for the disk. Do I have to specify what seems like many many options to get the disk ripped is there a simpler way to test see if the disk can copy?

I dont really understand how DVD ripping works yet a normal audio cd wont :(

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:54:05 pm »
Ok it will copy a DVD to the HD fine with no problems at all. I was amazed at how easy it was to get ripped and the speed was excellent.

Sadly though My CD Ripping will not work. Im not sure if this is anything to do with it but I may have selected MP3 in the setup and not MP3, will that make any difference?

Cheers in advance

Matt

If you have selected mp3 as your ripping format you will need to add the lame package to your installation;

from the console type;

sudo apt-get install lame
(**you'll need your password**)

Now go back to the Orbiter and you should find that mp3 ripping works fine :-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 02:57:27 pm »
Many thanks i will try this now.

Cheers

Matt

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 04:27:09 pm »
Worked a treat many thanks.

Didn't think about it not having a library for the MP3, tbh probobly never would have. Many thanks indeed

Matt