Author Topic: what is your mce box running on?  (Read 4964 times)

tobycatlin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
what is your mce box running on?
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:24 am »
I was blown away by the comparsion video to windows mce, to the point i have just wiped XP and am running Ubuntu feisty. I am about to install MCE but am hitting problems with hardware compatibility, stupid aiw card. My machine is a pretty old 2ghz xp althon and so could do with a overhaul. Before i go throwing my hard earned cash about i'd like to know what hardware everyone else is running.
cpu/ram/motherboard
video card
capture card
hd drives
televison/display
sat boxes
etc

c'mon show off your kit and i think it would be really useful to have specific detailed examples of what hardware setup work reliably.

ta

toby

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: what is your mce box running on?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:50:11 pm »
Linuxmce 1.0 is for Ubuntu Edgy Eft. Feisty came out not even a week ago. Linuxmce for feisty should be out in a week or so.

About the hardware: Any hardware that works for ubuntu should work for linuxmce. That said, linuxmce works better with nvidia that with ati cards for example (linux in general works better with nvidia than with ati actually). So for the hardware just search internet to see if ubuntu supports it and then youll know the answer for linuxmce. If you dont find information you can allways go to the ubuntu forum and ask.

Hugo

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:11:05 pm »
if you have a hardware that runs in linuxmce with some problems we could try to solve them together.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

tobycatlin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:54:07 pm »
to be honest i haven't tried very hard to install mce on my feisty machine. i have just read that my video card isn't very compatible.

What i was after wasn't a install guide or any help to fix my problems (not yet anyway ;) ) but a list of hardware that would make up a very good stable powerful mce box.

If a business was selling pre-loaded mce boxes what would their budget, mid-range and pro setups be.

I know i can search the internet for compatible hardware but i am curious to know what combinations of hardware people find work well together. I have seen plenty of other people ask the same kind of thing and are just redirected off to other sites, like mythtv etc.

eg for my high end spec i am thinking of
mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
cpu: Core 2 Duo E6400
ram: 2gb of generic branded or whatevers cheap
hd: 500gb or more if i can afford it
graphics: XFX GeForce Fx5200 (Apparently fanless)
capture: 2x Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1100

no idea what case at the moment
no idea what tv would be a good option. The one i have at the moment is so old i don't think it even has a scart socket.

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:28:29 pm »
I am sure thats enough for the core. And if you dont plan to use the core as a Media Director (they tend to be noisy) you dont need an incredible graphic card. I am using a Asus barebone as Mythtv frontend and is "only" an AMD Athlon 3500 with an onboard Nvidia 6600 (no own memory) and 1gig of RAM and it works without problem.

The media director doesnt need to be very powerful. The only thing that needs is that the graphic card has Mpeg acceleration, so the procesor dont need to do that task.

Hugo