Well... I had to leave the box at home today and take the 7-th day off (Jesus pun no-where to be found)... But, I find myself still searching. What I did find, however, is that there are 'known issues' that I haven't seen before -> http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Known_Issues
I will try tonight to follow this page to set up a 'Dedicated LMCE box', and forget about the hybrid method (after all, I did get the setup described for only $10
I think the product has great potential... in fact SUPER potential, it's just not ready yet, IMHO, at least for hybrid installation anyway's (and they've told us that). Perhaps I'll get a more 'Out of box' experience, with a dedicated box.
... if I get this thing going, perhaps the good people at linux MCE will use some experiences from user's to revamp their 'How to install'... ... or even create guide (with bug consideration) and have it as a 'sticky' here.
So far; I've learned
- The 'known issues' [link above] must be taken into consideration during install.
- DHCP is enabled regardless of telling it otherwise (so make your DHCP IP addy something that won't conflict with other IP's (such as with routers, other boxes, etc). I've also 'heard' that it will default to 192.168.1.1, which is most people's routers, so, temporarily change all your junk away from this.... OR, just hang your box right off the modem without any firewall, just to install, if your not sure what your doing.
- The install needs a connection to the outside world. This isn't exactly clear during installation.
- The 'black screen w/cursor' when trying to watch TV from inside LMCE, is a known issue and rumor has it that its a pluto problem. cnt-alt-f7 to the ununtu screen if this happens, and lauch myth tv from ubuntu. If you can watch it there, this is the bug. (you might have to add the password to the setup screen on mythtv so it can access mysql.
- Vesa drivers are loaded (low performance)... some people are successfull with reloading the real drivers back... but once pluto updates on boot again, it rewrites them back to vesa...
(I'll keep adding to this link as I get more information... I'm still trying to get mine going too, and it's totally unfair for this to hit the population in this condition). ...but on the bright side, perhaps it will attract programming support. ... for me, my headache is that guy in the video... his famous words..."Out of box...".