Author Topic: Media Storage  (Read 3904 times)

iberium

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Innovative Sight & Sound
Media Storage
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »
I just added an external usb hard drive that I would like to move my media to.  I have it setup using lmce file structure.  My questions are:

1)  What is the best way to move my media over to the new drive?  I have tried to just copy the files over but I can't transfer them as they are locked up under pluto_username ownership.  Am I able to chown the files or will this mess it up?

2)  If I add more drives, does lmce determine what the best location is to store the new files to?  So that the videos alias is actually a bunch of different drives showing up as one location?

3)  What is the best way to copy videos on to this new drive?  When I go to the share, only the old drive shows up under public.

theteju

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Media Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »
Hi there,

I am not an expert but I can answer based on my experience. First of all, If you have a lot of videos (huge files) I would suggest that you format the drive with xfs filesystem.

ans 1: best and fast way to move media over to new drive is via ssh from terminal. If you are not comfortable, then I would fire up the KDE desktop and copy paste the traditional way. Its feasible to attach the hard drive physically rather than moving the content over network. Permission issue is beyond my knowledge but if you run " sudo nautilus" can get the job done.

Ans 2 : Simple answer is "Yes". (as far as I know LMce) that is the beauty of the system.

I don't understand the last question.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Media Storage
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »
I do not recommend using attached USB disks to store media, because UpdateMedia frequently scans the disk. The nature of how USB is designed means that the CPU polls for any I/O to do, and thus greatly increases iowait, and therefore, can in extreme cases cause the system to experience long timeouts.

You can use the web admin's file sync option to copy the files, or you can connect to the \\dcerouter network share, and copy the files, that way.

-Thom