Author Topic: Sound Problems 1004 beta  (Read 11613 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Sound Problems 1004 beta
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:46:36 pm »
Since recently upgrading (yesterday) I have some sound issues.

No audio over hdmi on my acer revo md (broken for several days now).

Sound works on my core (spdif optical) for audio and video but mythtv volume is stuck at 0% so no sound.
Any ideas?
Barney

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Problems 1004 beta
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:27:48 am »
b4rney,
Have you tried to re-run the AVWizard again... mine quit too but rerun of AVWizard fixed it.

Dennis

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:28:32 am »
Hi Dennis,

Just tried that but still the same result.

Looks like mythtv isn't aware of the sound device even though everything else works.

Must be related to the latest changes. I think l3mce has rolled out some major improvements to audio (as you know!) but this has broken sound in mythtv for me.

I'll see if I can find the conf for myth to troubleshoot.
Cheers
Barney

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:33:30 pm »
Found a fix. Configured mythtv frontend setup set audio = spdif, instead of 'alsa default'.

Works for me now but I guess this should be auto detected?

Another bug is that I have configured the spdif optical out in my lmce setup, so my volume control should operate my amplifier rather than mythtv. At the moment it operates both.

For example if I vol down it happens on my Denon amp as expected AND on screen in mythtv. Same with mute. I think the volume controls should only operate my Denon amp (at least that is how it worked in 0810).

Hope this helps.
Barney

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 03:40:51 pm »
Hi there. I am the official breaker of all things audio.

I am working very hard on supporting everything. Being the dummy I am, I made a whole bunch of new video cards work (Intel, ATI, and the newer nVidia GT series)... little did I realize that that meant making audio work for them as well. Finding a solution that fits everything has been a painful process. I am sorry to those who are frustrated by things that did work, and suddenly don't. There are some things that need to happen for things to work, and I am just figuring all this out, each day.

Myth, yes... that's annoying. I am trying to fix it. I am attacking a whole slew of myth related issues once I fix general audio.

Check that you have the latest update.
Delete the last several unhashed lines of /etc/pluto/xine.conf and rm /etc/asound.conf /etc/X11/xorg.con* on your ION and reboot. This will take you to wizard where you should have some success.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:49:25 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:05:06 pm »
b4rney..   yeah... my Myth audio stopped working and I also fixed it that way  although I am pointing to the alsa hw:x,y hardware device... either or... as long as it is working.

l3mce... yes I am grateful for your efforts on making this stuff work.... Im not much of a programmer, but I do have a bit of time to do some research and testing of your efforts... I am glad I was able to help some too!   All my audio seems to be working fine... I am trying to figure out why I dont get the truehd and dts-hd audio to my receiver...it either decodes it as just DTS or no audio at all... I'll let you know if I find something.

best of luck guys,
Dennis

btw.. based on the number of posts Ive done, it states Im a 'guru'   LOL   thats a laugh!   :-[

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:03:18 am »
Delete the last several unhashed lines of /etc/pluto/xine.conf and rm /etc/asound.conf /etc/X11/xorg.con* on your ION and reboot. This will take you to wizard where you should have some success.

This solved my Acer Revo sound issue. Didn't change xine.conf but everything is now working after the wizard. Once again thanks l3mce. You devs are doing an amazing job.

After the small mythtv audio hack I have a working system. Let's not forget this is beta software. I know the risks and I'm happy to help any way I can.
Barney

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:45 am »

I'm running the Aug 9, 2012 release of 1004 and just got the latest updates using your global_updates script.  Turned on my Revo and it works awesome out of the box.  HDMI audio with DTS and digital audio work without modification.... 

Super sweet- THANK YOU

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
Ok... I think I am finally done with this albatross.

As of 26580+ audio should work out of the box for darned near everything, including dolby/dts. That dts hd stuff... I dunno... I think it has something to do with our version of xine.

IF you do not have audio where you want it, add the following value to /etc/pluto.conf
AlternateSC = 1
and try again. You can actually just go back to the audio selector page, change the value, and select your audio output again. This covers everything.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:49:18 pm by l3mce »

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 07:50:41 pm »
Ok to upgrade to this now?

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »
Did a fresh install of 26373 and upgraded. This is what I found;

AVWizard starts which normally does not due to alsa problem(I usually fix this by upgrading the asla driver)
No sound pci listed in wizard
No sound

Also cannot play video still on hybrid MD. I did not install any other MDs yet but will try now.

I'm downloading the iso now to see if that is any different

Update:
Media directors install fine. AVWizard completes fine. With sound (stereo analog) (tried analog on the H/MD as well no joy). Plays video fine.

I'm going to now try my asla upgrade script. See what she brings.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:43:33 pm by SBCC »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »
Hi SBCC, what is this hardware?
lspci -nn | grep VGA

Ok I've run out of ideas here. I'm trying to setup a new media director and getting the dreaded "Failed To Setup X". There is no xorg.conf in /etc/X11 but there is a xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard. I've tried creating my own xorg.conf and deleting all the xorgs. No go.

Hardware on the MD is ASRock A55M-HVS, AMD A6, ASUS GT218 GeForce 8400 GS. All of this I guessed as compatible. I have had success in the past with the 8400. For
Code: [Select]
lsmod | grep nvidia I get nothing.
cat /proc/driver shows no such file or directory. Tried to install driver but cannot kill X.

So now I'm stuck. I just want to know if it's a compatibility issue or me as my bag of tricks is quite limited.

One thing to note if I remove the video card and go with the onboard "even HDMI" it works fine just not good enough. Also will not start AVWizard with that.

I see your other thread. Looks like you did not have internet during install. You should not have to do anything at all... should all work fine. My guess is a networking glitch.

Check to see that you indeed do NOT have internet (ctrl alt f2) ping -c4 google.com

Assuming you do NOT have internet, try swapping the cables to your nics, then sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
ping again. If you DO have internet this time, then I need to go back and look at how I am setting up networking. If you do NOT, please give me the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

If you DO have internet, simply rebooting should solve everything... it will pick up and start rolling. My guess is you are using the nouveau driver.
lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A3 to be sure.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:31:11 pm by l3mce »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »
There was a communication miss between the builder and I. This is being built currently, and a new snapshot being generated.

Should be available tomorrow sometime.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:06:14 pm by l3mce »

SBCC

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 01:27:48 am »
Hi l3mce,

Hi SBCC, what is this hardware?
lspci -nn | grep VGA

I have loaded lmce onto the machine that was giving me the problems with the "Failed To Setup X".
Installed with no AVWizard start. Sarah started ok and went through that. UI1 started with sound. Restarted with AVWizard and now I get "Failed To Setup X"
On that machine which was the new MD I get;
dcerouter_1031922:/home/jim# lspci -nn | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:10c3] (rev a2)

Check to see that you indeed do NOT have internet (ctrl alt f2) ping -c4 google.com

Also
ping -c4 google.com
gives me a good response

If you DO have internet, simply rebooting should solve everything... it will pick up and start rolling. My guess is you are using the nouveau driver.
lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A3 to be sure.

Here I get
dcerouter_1031922:/home/jim# lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A3
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:10c3] (rev a2)
Kernel driver in use: nouveau
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

I will try rebooting here now

On the other machine that has the upgraded 26373 (i believe I see some 26579 software in that upgrade.) After running the alsa fix I can play video and have sound but it is bad. I'm going to run the AVWizard again there and see what that does. I will then put it back to where it was when I was adding the MD mentioned above.

I know I am kind of mixing threads here so let me know how badly I have confused you.

By the way. My external router does not clear out its client list often and I can successfully ssh into the hybrid with several IPs Seems wierd??

Thanks for responding

Let me know if I can do more.

Update;
I rebooted the MD that is currently running its own lmce install 26373 (not upgraded) and get the same "Failed to Setup X"
The post screen did show it installing the nvidia driver.

Another update;
The hybrid that I did the upgrade on that had no sound. I upgraded the alsa driver and now the pci sound device shows on the AVWizard. After selecting stereo analog (what I have to test with) I get static. So that trick it out of my bag of tricks. I'm going to set up my hybrid/core as "Normal Operating" now. If needed I can try to install that "Failed To Setup X" machine (will refer it as MD1 from now on) as an MD and see what we see as far as internet if you like.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:17:26 am by SBCC »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:53 am »
This is my fault SBCC.

I somehow failed to add your pciid. Well... it isn't somehow... it does not show on the list of supported chipsets in 260, but it is a rev A card... and I use 304 only when absolutely necessary. So it has no install candidate. I have it in the rev... just not the "get mah driver" part.

Please edit /usr/pluto/bin/nvidia-install.sh
under DRIVER_260_SUPPORTED=
add 10c3

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot. This will install the nvidia-glx-260 driver. Please use that and tell me if it works. I expect it will... then give me the output of sudo aplay -l

Once we figure out what works best, I will make the appropriate changes so you wont have a problem in the future.