Author Topic: Unable to add generic pc as MD - template 28  (Read 7916 times)

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Unable to add generic pc as MD - template 28
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »
Hya,
when i try to add a media director, generic pc as md, template 28, nothing is found, then i try via id of device template, 28 and get the following message: ERROR: the device template does not exist or invalid controlled via
What is wrong?
TIA
Paulo
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:02:44 am by pw44 »

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to add generic pc as MD - templete 28
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
is there a reason why you want to do that manually?

usually you just boot the pc with pxe over the network and everything else is done automatically...

IF

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:02:27 pm »
Because trying to have it automagically discoverr did not work... it asks if i want to add a file server... which is not the case.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:12:24 pm »
to be clear...

MDs do not use the hard drive. You set it to boot to the network in the machines bios. If it is asking you if you want to add a hard drive, then you would have to be connecting it after it is booted to... something else.
I never quit... I just ping out.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:31:00 pm »
to be clear...

MDs do not use the hard drive. You set it to boot to the network in the machines bios. If it is asking you if you want to add a hard drive, then you would have to be connecting it after it is booted to... something else.

Because trying to have it automagically discoverr did not work... it asks if i want to add a file server... which is not the case.

Translation of the above: when i connect the diskless pc via the ethernet cable to the network, lmce 10.04 UI pops up a message asking if i want to add a new file server, which could not be, because the diskless pc does not contains a hard drive, and it uses the nfs exported drives.... and i did not say that MDs uses a hard drive. Or did i say and could not find it in the message?

so, any hint in how to solve? i guess not, so so, for the third time in 3 days i will install the whole system again from ground zero: spa3102 does not work, my sip line are mute for incoming and outgoing, the diskless media server is recognized as a file server.....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:56:45 pm by pw44 »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »
so, any hint in how to solve? i guess not, so so, for the third time in 3 days i will install the whole system again from ground zero: spa3102 does not work, my sip line are mute for incoming and outgoing, the diskless media server is recognized as a file server.....

Sound like you have not enabled PXE boot or 'network boot' on the machine you are trying to use as an MD.  If you PXE boot the machine it will be automagically detected as an MD and install all the correct templates.  Do not attempt to do this manually!

J.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Sound like you have not enabled PXE boot or 'network boot' on the machine you are trying to use as an MD.  If you PXE boot the machine it will be automagically detected as an MD and install all the correct templates.  Do not attempt to do this manually!

J.

Hi J.
The whole environment is the same i had with 8.10, where the MD worked (core, md, switches, ip phones, ata, z-wave, etc... The only change is is the new 10.04.
Thats why i'm asking about template 28. Yes, i also did run the create TB?? (don't remember exactly the name) before trying to boot the md.
Thx,
Paulo

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »
The whole environment is the same i had with 8.10, where the MD worked (core, md, switches, ip phones, ata, z-wave, etc... The only change is is the new 10.04.
Thats why i'm asking about template 28. Yes, i also did run the create TB?? (don't remember exactly the name) before trying to boot the md.

Okay, I understand what you are saying.  Was this a DVD install or a net install?  If dvd install, which snapshot did you use?  If you used snapshot you should not run Diskless_CreateTBZ as it is already done for you.  If you did a network install did Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh finish completey and tell you there were 'no detectable errors'?

Do this:
Remove any manually created MDs on your core within webadmin.
Quick Reload dcerouter
Turn on the MD with PXE boot enabled

What happens on the MD's monitor?  It should show you that it has 'Announced ourselves to the router' and that it is 'Running Diskless_Setup'.  You should see these things on your MDs monitor when you PXE boot it the first time.  Are you seeing this?  If you are not seeing this, what exactly does the MD do when you turn it on?

J.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to add generic pc as MD - template 28
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 01:05:08 am »
J.,
The first install was from the DVD, but i go so many problems that i decided to get the internet install, Today, i installed it the third time,
i reinstalled all, and for my surprise, AVWizard does not shows, and it goes directly for the simple interface.
Entering more -> advanced -> av setup,, it reboots and no AVWizard....
The previous install, two days ago, entered AVWizard.
It's driving me insane :))))
Any hint?
BR
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:33:06 am by pw44 »

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:30:50 am »
Code: [Select]
rm /etc/inittab

Then your avwizard will be able to start again.  A permanent fix for this is in the works.  A very new, but known problem with net install.

J.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:57:20 am »
J.
thx for the hint. Removing /etc/inittab  worked.
Now i will test diskless md incluson.
BR
Paulo

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 11:35:06 pm »
Glad things are moving forward for you!

Let me know what happens with your MD as it is PXE booting the first time.

J.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »
Hi J.
MD booted PXE, and all was automagically created, AVWizard showed up fine and worked.
Thx a lot for the inittab hint!

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 07:10:58 am »
Excellent!  You're welcome.

J.