Author Topic: Hardware advice.  (Read 5093 times)

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hardware advice.
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:54:29 pm »
Hi there its been a while since I looked at linuxmce and I am thinking of dipping a toe in the water again and try create a hybrid setup that I can play around with.

I am eventually going to add some of the home automation however I am in the middle of moving so that won't be for a few months.

I'm looking for some advice on hardware and what is the best route. The wiki pages suggest items that appear to be a few years old and I was wondering if they are still relevant?

Is it still a case of linux MCE being 32bit? If so I will leave it at 4 gig memory.

Can anyone recommend a suitable motherboard + CPU + gfx card for a hybrid setup that I may wish to expand in the future perhaps?

The main aim is to use it for media at first then extend to some of the interesting home automation solutions when funds allow :-)

I am really looking forward to adding things to my shopping cart on ebuyer etc! I just want to make sure the pieces I add are hopefully compatible.

Many thanks in advance and keep up the amazing work!

Matt
:-)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Hardware advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:09 pm »
If I were in your shoes, I would go to http://lmcecompatible.com and order a hybrid from there. The advantage is, you get equipment that is known to work. And *if* there is a premium, you know it is a) for a good cause, b) deserved, because the stuff has been verified to work.

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 10:59:24 pm »
Hi Thanks for the reply I forgot to mention that I am currently in the UK so Im not sure if they deliver there.

I will however check it out!

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:46:06 am »
If you are in the UK, go the http://www.dianemo.co.uk route. In our marketplace forum there are details about their systems.

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:31:32 pm »
Ok cool thanks I will take a look. I guess it makes it easier to get started with it. So that I can play more with the other bits and pieces.

acematti

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »
Out of interest has anyone tried to use this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/242781-intel-d525mw-atom-d525-1-66ghz-vga-out-mini-itx-motherboard-boxd525mw

Im not sure if a Atom D525 1.66GHz would be good enough to power a little test hybrid machine.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:03:42 pm »
You will get lots of different advice. My reasoning for directing you towards tested machines and pre-installed hardware is, that you experience will be much nicer. Adding BYOD later, after you have made yourself at home with LinuxMCE is a much better way.