Author Topic: Nokia N800 Orbiter easy build  (Read 9916 times)

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
Nokia N800 Orbiter easy build
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:08:17 am »
I've started work on committing the stuff for the Nokia N800 and N810 Orbiter. You can follow progress here: ticket #1523.

I'm leaving your old stuff alone for now. There's a README file in my commit with instructions. Feedback appreciated.

dextaslab

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • modlog.net
Re: Nokia N800 Orbiter easy build
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:08:14 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the N800 pretty similar to the N900?
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Nokia_N800

Or are you working on the qOrbiter for the N800?

Cheers

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the N800 pretty similar to the N900?
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Nokia_N800

To answer your question, I actually have to read Wikipedia myself :)

The N900 is a phone. The N800 isn't. The N810 is like the N800, but it's cuter and includes a sliding keyboard :)

The N900 runs Maemo 5, the N800 runs Maemo 4. This thing I did is related to the wiki article you linked in. I have no idea if you can use what I committed to build the Orbiter for the N900 - I don't have one. If you do have a N900, please try it out.

I did this because sometimes people do need the Nokia Orbiter to be rebuilt, and the process was a bitch.

Or are you working on the qOrbiter for the N800?

Nope, not qOrbiter. Just the same old boring N800 Orbiter based on sources in src/Orbiter. Sorry to disappoint.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:43:06 am »
I have an N900, but not free time this weekend to try building it...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:40:51 am »
I just got a bright idea: Although I don't have a N900 myself, thus I can't test if the thing is actually running, I can still attempt a build. I can install the SDK without having a N900 myself. At least, if there are building problems, I can attempt to fix them.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 02:29:42 am »
Well... it built. I've update the README. Looking around, it looks like a N770 build would work across the board if you had the right packages forward ported - which, in the case of LinuxMCE, you do. The N770 seems to be the odd one out by using libmysqlclient12 - the rest of them have libmysqlclient15 in their repositories. And N770 doesn't run Diablo. But besides a build dependency change, it should build for the N770 too and it should work just fine.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:32 pm »
If somebody wants to help with development and needs a test unit, I have a N800 for sale.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:28:42 pm »
Uplink,... Did you say you did a build for the N900? If so where would I find it?
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:48:51 pm »
Uplink,... Did you say you did a build for the N900? If so where would I find it?

I didn't upload it anywhere. I only did it and it was successful :) I don't have a proper place to put it yet. I can email it to you if you like. Or you can find a place for me to upload it.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »
PM'd you... please email,... We can search for a home for it later...

And Thanks!

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »
The deb has a package dependency for a library called libmysqlclient15off,... which I assume is the "official"  version1.5 mySQL client runtime library. Any Idea where I could get it?

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 11:44:45 pm »
The deb has a package dependency for a library called libmysqlclient15off,... which I assume is the "official"  version1.5 mySQL client runtime library. Any Idea where I could get it?

Apparently, from your apt repositories. Try enabling the "extras" repository. In my scratchbox, that's where it comes from.

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:49:32 pm »

Oh, and the number 15 is an ABI version that increases from time to time as MySQL releases come out. 15 matches MySQL 5.0 according to the package version. 16 is for 5.1, 18 for 5.5. There isn't really a direct correspondence.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:02 pm »
I've been having trouble getting the repository added to my N900's list... I'll probably end up doing it manually fro the command line with apt-get. I forgot how much a pain the N900 GUI package managers were... Manual installs of the deb with dpkg generates errors too, though... Dependency hell (I'm using the Community release of Maemo5, by the way).

When I get it installed, I'll let you know how it went ...

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 04:19:32 pm »
I've been having trouble getting the repository added to my N900's list... I'll probably end up doing it manually fro the command line with apt-get. I forgot how much a pain the N900 GUI package managers were... Manual installs of the deb with dpkg generates errors too, though... Dependency hell (I'm using the Community release of Maemo5, by the way).

When I get it installed, I'll let you know how it went ...

Weird... on the N800 it's really easy. I just go to Settings -> Application manager. In there, I tap the upper left corner popup menu, select Tools -> Application catalogue. And "maemo Extras" was there, waiting for me to enable it. Clicked "Edit", unticked "Disabled" in the window that appeared, clicked OK. Done. Isn't the N900 the same in this regard?