Author Topic: [SOLVED] DVD install MCE810 dvd hangs on first step!  (Read 5649 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
[SOLVED] DVD install MCE810 dvd hangs on first step!
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »
This is just sad! I finally get to trying an install on my new hardware for my new core and I don't even get past step 1!

Basically I downloaded the http://linuxmce.iptp.org/release/LinuxMCE-8.10-final.iso image, verify MD5 checksum and burn image to DVD. Then I boot DVD on my new hardware and get to the Menu screen (Linux MCE, Install Kubuntu, Test CD etc) but whatever option I choose from there, I get the KUBUNTU plus scrolling bar for about 40 secs after which that disappears and the screen goes to sleep.

Have just, this morning, on the same machine, installed Fedora 16 with no issues at all from bootable DVD so the DVD drive seems to be working and no other major issues with hardware.

Where do I start trouble-shooting this?

Firstly, I booted the dvd on my laptop and tried the kubuntu live and it worked fine so the burn appears to be ok. Obviously some combination between this image/ software and my new hardware?

Now I'm busy downloading the latest snapshot LinuxMCE-8.10-25224-i386.iso hoping that will somehow be different. I can also try the internet install method.

Any other suggestions?

My hardware:

Motherboard: FOXCONN H61MX-V DDR3 LGA1155 M
CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2400 3.1GHZ SKT
RAM: 2x KINGSTON DDR3 4GB 1333 DESKTOP
HDD: SEAGATE 2TB SATA 3.0 3.5" 5900
DVD: SONY +/- DVD WRITER 24+R,SATA
EXTRA NIC: ZYXEL PCI GIGABIT ETHERNET CAR

Yes, I know, onboard graphics is not Nvidia... not sure what it is actually or how to find out but the place that built it had some issues putting in the cheaper Nvidia cards. Apparently motherboard threw errors. They reckoned the cheapest that would work was pretty expensive and would require a PSU upgrade. I thought I'd leave that and see if I could just get the install done... after all, this is ultimately supposed to be a headless core. Could the onboard graphics be the problem? Even at this stage of the install? Otherwise, how do I get to the bottom of it?

Any suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:21:51 am by jamo »

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DVD install MCE810 dvd hangs on first step!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
Have you tried to start the install part on another pc to see if it goes further?

Karel

Edit: Why dont you try 1004 seing you have relative new Hardware.

Yes, I know, onboard graphics is not Nvidia... not sure what it is actually or how to find out but the place that built it had some issues putting in the cheaper Nvidia cards. Apparently motherboard threw errors. They reckoned the cheapest that would work was pretty expensive and would require a PSU upgrade. I thought I'd leave that and see if I could just get the install done... after all, this is ultimately supposed to be a headless core. Could the onboard graphics be the problem? Even at this stage of the install? Otherwise, how do I get to the bottom of it?

Any suggestions welcome.

This might also be part of your problem. Faulty Motherboard???
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:36:41 pm by DragonK »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Will try install on another pc... in the meantime I'm tinkering with the BIOS onboard vid setup. When I changed it from PEG/IGD to IGD things got marginally further- the scrolling graphics bar disappeared to be replaced by a prompt (initramfs) I think. Don't know if that means anything to anyone but it does make me suspect the video card could be part of the problem.

Could also look at 10.04 but I'm such a newbie, wanted to go for the tried and tested.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »
What if you try an PCIe Graphics card, if you suspecting the onboard graphics.

Karel.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:54:00 am »
OK, tried next latest snapshot: 25224 and pretty much the same error except it doesn't even get to the initramfs stage, just dies shortly after the sliding bar. I see the snapshot overview wiki - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Snapshot_overview has only older snapshots that aren't on http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/

Is there somewhere I can find those older, verified snapshots?

Options still to try-

1. Try to add another graphics card (first need to bend the arm of the h/w supplier to void my warranty when I open the box)
2. Try internet install - kubuntu first then, internet
3. Try one of the older verified snapshots if I can find them
4. Try 10.04  :o

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:37 am »
For me 1004 was a easier install than 0810.

But thats me.

Karel

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:19 am »
Solved! At least this problem-

Turned out to be a BIOS setting- I discovered this since the same thing happened in a vanilla kubuntu install and then I searched the ubuntu forum for it.

Basically, the BIOS setting for SATA MODE was set to IDE and it should have been set to AHCI.

Interesting, caused no problems with my Fedora install but Ubuntu didn't like it and obviously couldn't mount the SATA HDD!

So I'll carry on with 8.10 and see how it goes.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:42:52 pm »
OK, tried next latest snapshot: 25224 and pretty much the same error except it doesn't even get to the initramfs stage, just dies shortly after the sliding bar. I see the snapshot overview wiki - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Snapshot_overview has only older snapshots that aren't on http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/

Is there somewhere I can find those older, verified snapshots?

Options still to try-

1. Try to add another graphics card (first need to bend the arm of the h/w supplier to void my warranty when I open the box)
2. Try internet install - kubuntu first then, internet
3. Try one of the older verified snapshots if I can find them
4. Try 10.04  :o

I would not try the snapshots and only focus on the final.iso version of 0810. The snapshots are unsupported

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: [SOLVED] DVD install MCE810 dvd hangs on first step!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »
Okeydokey, will stick with the final.iso....

Currently trying 10.04 because things weren't quite as solved as I thought-

8.10 could not see my SATA drive. This doesn't seem to be a completely isolated issue and it seems to be related to kubuntu rather than MCE. I will see how the 10.04 install goes because I haven't yet been able to find a way of getting Kubuntu8.10 to see and partition my drive!

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
Okeydokey, will stick with the final.iso....

Currently trying 10.04 because things weren't quite as solved as I thought-

8.10 could not see my SATA drive. This doesn't seem to be a completely isolated issue and it seems to be related to kubuntu rather than MCE. I will see how the 10.04 install goes because I haven't yet been able to find a way of getting Kubuntu8.10 to see and partition my drive!

That sounds like a hardware problem... and i wouldn't expect a different result from 1004... meaning the drive is bad, the SATA cable is bad, the power cable is bad, the motherboard socket is bad...

I would grab a hirens boot disk and check the drive for errors. You can boot live to the 810 disk and open a terminal and type
Code: [Select]
cat /proc/partitionsand paste the result here, that would be helpful too.

I saw your other thread on this... I think your drive is just too big. There is a limitation which prevents 810 from working on block devs that large. I recommend using a small drive as your core anyway, and adding a NAS for storage. Everything runs faster that way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:38:49 pm by l3mce »
I never quit... I just ping out.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions l3mce.

That sounds like a hardware problem... and i wouldn't expect a different result from 1004... meaning the drive is bad, the SATA cable is bad, the power cable is bad, the motherboard socket is bad...

Don't think so because Fedora 16 and Kubuntu 10.04  seemed to go on very smoothly... just Kubuntu 8.10 that had issues. But I won't rule it out yet.

I would grab a hirens boot disk and check the drive for errors. You can boot live to the 810 disk and open a terminal and type
cat /proc/partitionsand paste the result here, that would be helpful too.
will do:
major minor #blocks       name
7       0          663212 loop0
8       0      1953514584 sda
8       1            1024 sda1
8       2      1944694784 sda2
8       3         8817664 sda3

I saw your other thread on this... I think your drive is just too big. There is a limitation which prevents 810 from working on block devs that large. I recommend using a small drive as your core anyway, and adding a NAS for storage. Everything runs faster that way.
Hmmm, that's certainly a possibility. Will definitely consider swapping out the big drive with my workstation if I'm still struggling with 10.04 as is currently the case- soon to post latest hassles  :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:57:59 pm by jamo »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 08:37:46 am »
Too big indeed! Certainly the first time I've been accused of *that* and right on the money.

Have just swapped my workstation (250Gb) and core (2Tb) drives and busy installing 8.10 on the 250Gb drive. Kubuntu saw it no problem so I guess that was the issue. Thanks very much! Will see how the rest of the install goes.

Will possibly look into one of those NAS thingies if required for the media.