Author Topic: QML Light Switch  (Read 9397 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
QML Light Switch
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »

Hello again boy and girls :)

Im here to explain about an exciting new bit of code, the QML Light switch. Why is it exciting you ask? well because it marries the power of the DCE architecture with the slickness and portability of QML :)

What is QML?
A Javascript-esque markup language for designing and creating user interfaces, thats what!

How was this done
The process to create this device involved more than a few steps, which i will be outlining in the wiki very soon.
-Starting by reading this
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developing_a_DCE_Device <--it outlines the process to creating a device, from creating a template to dce gen and sqlcpp
-create your device. Easier said than done.
-test.

So, what we have is a DCE device that started as a device template which we then
-created device stubs for
-wrote c++ code for (based on the qt toolkit 4.7 and creator 2.0.1)
 -this included (badly written) QML
-integrated the two based on lmce_launch_manager_old

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Qml - more specifics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KefqZgDFIRU

Im posting all of this in the hope that we can get more people involved in the creation of this new user interface. Tschak has been instrumental in guiding me through the creation of the device and navigating the DCE connection, and i feel that once more people can overcome this obstacle, we can really move forward on a lot of things on our wish lists

-golgoj4

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:23:18 pm by golgoj4 »
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: QML Light Switch
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
anyone else tried to run this?
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

JohnEdwards

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:31:06 am »
Is QML similar to XAML(I'm guessing the Qt parallel to it)?

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:44:26 am »
Is QML similar to XAML(I'm guessing the Qt parallel to it)?

more akin to css and javascript

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:00:05 pm »
Hi Golgoj4,

I have been leaning my way through this code and the QML environment and have now created 2 QML switches. One is a switch button and the other is a slider switch.  I have a couple of questions.

1. You are validating the template the device was created from. Is this necessary for DCE or can I find all templates that are zwave/KNX etc that have on/off/level commands. I ask this because my understanding is that messagesend is the mechanism for sending the codes and not the QML template.

2. a device ID is required on the command line. What device type is it targeted at.

gadget

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:05:01 pm »
So,...

Is this? ...

1) A great way to put contemporary graphical interfaces in LinuxMCE? ...or...

2) A great way to create virtual devices that can be composed of several other devices, and/or scenes? ...or...

3) Both of the above? ...or...

4) Both of the above, and way more than that?

I am not sure I understand the scope of this thing (sounds great though).
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:41:00 am »
So,...

Is this? ...

1) A great way to put contemporary graphical interfaces in LinuxMCE? ...or...

2) A great way to create virtual devices that can be composed of several other devices, and/or scenes? ...or...

3) Both of the above? ...or...

4) Both of the above, and way more than that?

I am not sure I understand the scope of this thing (sounds great though).

this was the original proto-type for seeing if we could merge qt and dce in a sane fashion. The answer was yes and qOrbiter was born from it.

-golgoj4

it also serves as a good example of how to make a dce software device.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:54:58 pm »
So, theoretically, this could provide an easy way to wrap LinuxMCE around and/or integrate, as a device, just about anything that can be controlled by software dbus messages, in addition to providing some nice skinable UI elements?!

So, for instance, someone has a program that is uses dbus, and they can use this to then create a LinuxMCE device out of it and skin the controls too,... right?!
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:46:10 am »
So, theoretically, this could provide an easy way to wrap LinuxMCE around and/or integrate, as a device, just about anything that can be controlled by software dbus messages, in addition to providing some nice skinable UI elements?!

So, for instance, someone has a program that is uses dbus, and they can use this to then create a LinuxMCE device out of it and skin the controls too,... right?!

the short answer is: is the os whatever program we are talking about running on linux, windows or mac. if the answer is yet, then qml can be applied liberally.

golgoj4