Author Topic: Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install  (Read 2931 times)

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »
I've been away for a week (CES) and just returned home.  My pluto hybrid told me it had installed software updates and needed to reboot.  I told it I'd do it later because I wanted to watch some videos.  After an hour or two the controls started acting wonky, so I figured I'd reboot.  Now it seems to be in some sort of reboot loop.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:09:18 am »
Quote from: "Bandito"
I've been away for a week (CES) and just returned home.  My pluto hybrid told me it had installed software updates and needed to reboot.  I told it I'd do it later because I wanted to watch some videos.  After an hour or two the controls started acting wonky, so I figured I'd reboot.  Now it seems to be in some sort of reboot loop.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?


So it turns out that there were a number of references in the update index that was download to deb.plutohome.com with /Work/ in them.  This directory didn't exist on the server.  After editing the index the downloads began properly.  That was the first issue, which took my friend and I a few hours to resolve.

The second issue was related to video drivers.  I had a GeForce TI4200 in that box.  This update deprecated that card to legacy drivers.  Searching for "legacy nvidia" on these forums turns up newbielink:http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1016&highlight=legacy+nvidia [nonactive], wherein the poster says that after struggling with the legacy drivers and Pluto for a week he bought a new video card.  Luckily I had a GeForce 5950 on hand, so I threw that card in.  This brings us to the third problem...

After getting back on track with the video drivers, my OnScreen Orbiter wouldn't load.  Seems that the custom timings specified for my projector in the xorg.conf were no longer functioning properly.  After hours of troubleshooting this I was finally able to get it working again.

And the fourth and (hopefully) final problem... I had mount points specified in my fstab to an NTFS drive on my DCERouter and to Windows Shares on another machine.  I mounted these to subdirectories under /home/public/data/audio and /home/public/data/video.  Now, for some reason, I can no longer browse these directories through the Orbiter.  Everything shows up and is mounted find via command-line, but the Orbiter won't let me drill down into these directories.  I have yet to resolve this problem.

These problems got me thinking... I love Pluto, and everything that it's capable of.  This system brings together everything I could ask for in a home management system.  However, is there a better way to manage updates like this?  For example, I generally do not install Windows Updates immediately, especially in an environment I'm managing.  I wait a few weeks until I hear whether or not there are any issues, and then after testing them to make sure that they don't break anything I will apply them en masse.  I don't seem to have that luxury with Pluto, as these updates happen in the background.  Additionally, is it even possible to predict that the types of problems I've encountered may occur?  I'm about to start on a new business venture and am seriously considering working out a licensing agreement with Pluto, but these types of problems are of great concern.  If I was supporting a dozen clients and an update knocked them all out of commission, no one would be very happy.

At any rate, I'll end my rant.  If anyone has an idea why my mount points aren't browsable I'd love to hear them.  

And Pluto devs, thanks for a great system.  Hiccups and burps aside, I saw the Monster demo at CES where everything was working like it was supposed to and I was wowed.  Very well done.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:26:02 am »
Quote from: "Bandito"


So it turns out that there were a number of references in the update index that was download to deb.plutohome.com with /Work/ in them.  This directory didn't exist on the server.  After editing the index the downloads began properly.  That was the first issue, which took my friend and I a few hours to resolve.

Hi, I'm in th same boat. Had to rename Applyupdates.sh to get out booting loop. But still cannot install donwloaded packages cause it says they cannot be authenticated. Can you please describe your procedure more in deep so others can follow or maybe even share index file ?

Quote from: "Bandito"

....

And the fourth and (hopefully) final problem... I had mount points specified in my fstab to an NTFS drive on my DCERouter and to Windows Shares on another machine.  I mounted these to subdirectories under /home/public/data/audio and /home/public/data/video.  Now, for some reason, I can no longer browse these directories through the Orbiter.  Everything shows up and is mounted find via command-line, but the Orbiter won't let me drill down into these directories.  I have yet to resolve this problem.

Can you browse them on Hybrid's Orbiter ? I have also weird problem, cause I cannot browse directories that are symlinked or mounted under public on all other Orbiters beside Hybrid and have to put separate sharings into export file and on all diskless MDs to mount them.
Quote from: "Bandito"

These problems got me thinking... I love Pluto, and everything that it's capable of.  This system brings together everything I could ask for in a home management system.  However, is there a better way to manage updates like this?  For example, I generally do not install Windows Updates immediately, especially in an environment I'm managing.  I wait a few weeks until I hear whether or not there are any issues, and then after testing them to make sure that they don't break anything I will apply them en masse.  I don't seem to have that luxury with Pluto, as these updates happen in the background.  Additionally, is it even possible to predict that the types of problems I've encountered may occur?  I'm about to start on a new business venture and am seriously considering working out a licensing agreement with Pluto, but these types of problems are of great concern.  If I was supporting a dozen clients and an update knocked them all out of commission, no one would be very happy.

At any rate, I'll end my rant.  If anyone has an idea why my mount points aren't browsable I'd love to hear them.  

And Pluto devs, thanks for a great system.  Hiccups and burps aside, I saw the Monster demo at CES where everything was working like it was supposed to and I was wowed.  Very well done.

 I agree, updates are getting more and more complicated, more and more manual interventions are needed. There were times when you just updated with no particular problem, and I bet they come back, but now releases probably have too many changes and this could cause problems.

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:21:22 pm »
Hi Rob

as usual we hear from each other when upgrade time comes ....  :roll:

I also have the authentication warning, but I started to notice it a couple of release ago, and this never blocked me as immediately after I always got a message saying that authentication warning was overridden.

If I make a simple apt-get upgrade the system replies that 110 packages were kept back.
But if I type apt-get install pluto-dcerouter (or any other pluto package) the reply is different. Basically apt-get says that one of the required packages (pluto-updatemedia in my case) could not be found.
I also spotted that apt-get was trying to find it using wrong path (/Work , as Bandito says), and I was able to go partially throug by issuing several apt-get clean , apt-get update.
This made me able to update some chunk of packages (at least I'm currently dowloading ... not sure yet if this will be the solution).

Whatever will be the solution this time, lately it seems that upgrades are aimed to test new functionalities rather that assure smooth upgrades.

I don't know whether this is a Plutohome policy or simply a side effect of many changes, nevertheless it is a bit discouraging.

Hope Pluto staff won't read this as a complaint (I myself didn't contribute to this project except for some testing, posts and suggestions so certainly I'm the less entitled guy to raise a complaint), but my opinion is that as the official release is approaching probably it would be of more help to expand the beta tester base instead of cutting it down.

But these are of course only my 0,02 cents

Back to business. I will keep updated as usual about my upgrade pain and hopefully success, if anyone found a faster and better solution please share here.

Bye
Marco

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 12:55:01 pm »
Small update

apt-get install pluto-dcerouter dowloaded all but pluto-updatemedia and pluto-skins-basic, so installation failed.

So i went into /var/lib/apt/lists and edited  deb.plutohome.com_debian_dists_20dev_main_binary-i386_Packages removing /Work from packages file path.

Then reissued apt-get install pluto-dcerouter and  finally downloaded missing packages. Installation is now taking place (installation script updating all my media) and as soon kids will stop watching Toy Story 2 I will reboot the whole system.

Bye
Marco


Further edit:

reboot went fine. Still have to understand the new UI (half classical and half UI2) and still have to understand why my MD screeen size and resolution got screwed.
Also media are messed up, as they are listed together on Orbiters regardless they are public or private.
But these are different stories worth to be developed in different threads.

HTH
Marco

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 12:35:02 am »
Thanks for posting your efforts guys, I am getting the same problem
with UpdateMedia not being found. Hopefully, the methods that you have posted will remedy this.

Another side effect that I got was that the MDs (or at least one) upgraded to 43 whilst the core still thinks it is at 42. This seems to be quite upsetting for the MD. The MD also looks like the video drivers are messed up. Trying to bring up a prompt shows very fuzzy (unreadable) screen. I think I will leave it till the core is fixed though.

Regards
Darren

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 01:28:32 am »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
apt-get install pluto-dcerouter dowloaded all but pluto-updatemedia and pluto-skins-basic, so installation failed.

So i went into /var/lib/apt/lists and edited  deb.plutohome.com_debian_dists_20dev_main_binary-i386_Packages removing /Work from packages file path.


I basically did the same thing (same edits) but ran "apt-get dist-upgrade" which seemed to work.

However, the problem that I thought was related to mounting isn't at all.  It seems that once I click Video or Audio from the Orbiter (on the hybrid or otherwise) I see the top level of files/directories, but can't do anything.  Can't drilll down, and if I copy an AVI file to the root of /home/public/data/video I can't even play it.  Clicking on a file doesn't play it, and clicking on a directory doesn't browse it.  I'm at a loss, as this update has disabled all media functionality from my hybrid.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 09:57:21 am »
Hi guys,

I can confirm the same problems as experienced by all above, have my system up and running now after following the same pattern of fixes.  Also had to do an apt-get install pluto-nvidia-video-drivers to get my display back.

[GENERAL]
Current situation is I can browse media (prefered the old way as I have folders for categories, but now I have to scroll through all my media)  if I click on that media item I get its attributes displayed but I cant figure how to play the video or audio files.

[MYTHTV]
I removed my video card drivers in mythtv but when I went to reinstall them DVB is nolonger an option so I cant view or scan my satellite or DVB-T cards for channels.

Will probably go for a complete re-install as is so often the case following upgrades.

NOS

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:38:24 pm »
Hi all (and esp. pluto staff),

Maybe, for next releases, I would be wise to release on monday instead of thursday or friday...  :wink:

With friday releases you always get troubles.

Anyway, thank you for this new release.

Christian

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:34:40 pm »
Still cannot do upgrade. Apt says that it cannot find deb.plutohome.com_debian_dists_replacements_non-free_binary-i386_Packages and deb.plutohome.com_debian_dists_replacements_contributed_binary-i386_Packages

I did apt-get clean and apt-get update but without luck.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

archived

  • Hello, I'm new here
  • Posts: 0
    • View Profile
Reboot Loop - Retitled: Problems with .43 Install
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »
right, Friday isn't such a good day for release.
we tested the upgrades on the house and they were fine and somehow a change got to plutohome.com and packages.gz was corrupted

just reboot and a new package should install. then everything should be just fine.

sorry about it, i know that wasn't very pleasant for all of you.