Author Topic: [Solved] Block telemarketing numbers  (Read 5612 times)

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
[Solved] Block telemarketing numbers
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:23:35 am »
Is there a way to block such numbers, e.g via the web admin?

regards
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:58:49 pm by willow3 »

Randall

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Block telemarketing numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:00:28 am »
In my experience, the best way to block telemarketers, fax calls, etc is to use a whitelist and a simple voice-mail setup. I don't do this within LMCE at the moment but basically every caller with an unknown/private callerid is prompted to 'press 1 to ring our phone' or 'press 2 to leave a message' in extensions.conf.  I populate my whitelist table in msql from my address book so that if the number is known, it goes straight through and rings my extensions.

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:33:55 am »
Ok. That approach is a little too strict for me. I would prefer a blacklist with numbers that are blocked (simply hang up). Other numbers are passed through to my extensions. At the moment, there is a limited amount of numbers that annoy me, so I can very well populate the blacklist manually.

I would like to know if there is a built in method in linux mce to do this or if I need to hack asterisk manually. I didn't find anything in mce documentation or in forum, so my guess is no. But I would like to be sure first.

regards

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:07:08 pm »
Why hang up? Wouldn't it be better to lead the annoying caller into a long series of "Wait, your call is rerouted", some music, some more rerouting and finally a swift disconnect? At least if the cost of the call is on the caller.

Locally, we have a service (Nix! = Nope! in english) that blacklists all unwanted callers on a national level. You just opt into this and then there's more or less no such calls anymore. This is something to copy to other countries.

/Joakim

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:03:26 pm »
Or forward them to their own number.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:34:38 pm »
For asterisk, there is a blacklist module, which can be installed from the administration panel.
It's what i'm using to block junk / undesired callers, who gets a voice message telling the phone is not in service.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:39:15 pm by pw44 »

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
@pw44: Interesting, I couldn't find it. When I go to the Module admin I have the list of modules in the attached jpg. I have FreePBX 2.2.0beta3. I guess that is the one shipped with LinuxMCE 8.10.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:14 pm »
Freepbx panel (advanced -> configuration -> phones setup)
You will find Setup and Tools. Select Tools and you will find Module Admin. Check for updates online and it will display all available modules. Find blacklist in the list and enable (install it).

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:58:24 pm »
@pw44: That did the trick. Thanks a lot!

brake16

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Block telemarketing numbers
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:02:29 pm »
Please add this to the wiki.
The Second Empirical Law of Lasers is to not look into the beam with your remaining good eye  - Anonymous

willow3

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Block telemarketing numbers
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »