Author Topic: Freeze during setup  (Read 8651 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« on: December 29, 2006, 06:38:22 pm »
I'm trying to install 2.0.0.42 on this machine, but when I get to the graphical setup screen it freezes either on the first screen, or on the volume setup screen when I press OK (volume up and down is fine). Also, when it comes to the volume setup there is no sound at all.
Anyone had a simmilar setup or any ideas?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:43:28 am »

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 02:54:11 am »
So you're saying that because that server is unreachable the install/setup phase doesn't finish? That sounds like really bad design... :shock:

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 10:33:00 am »
Hi,

I can't be certain that your installer is blocked because of the site down, but I'm sure that most install will freeze or abort at some point because of the site down.

The design of pluto is nice but the level of integration with the debian package system requires regular downloads.

The only real problem is that there is only one place from which certain packages are available.

Regards,

Christian

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 01:55:14 pm »
After playing around with it some more I've come to the following conclusions:
    - Pluto freezes on hardware lockup on my soundcard on step 6 on the setup. Jumping past this by selecting no sound gets me to the configuration steps. There is no problem with the sound in Ubuntu or Knoppix(Myth).
    - DCERouter hangs if you are not connected to a network. BAD!
    - APT fails constantly making the installation take ages. Both deb.plutohome.com and the .ru one fail. Timeout values are so high this takes ages. Why doesn't it detect the first one failing and then skip the next ones?
    - Spelling errors everywhere! I don't think I've ever seen a piece of software with more spelling errors.
    - Why isn't Bathroom part of the list of rooms?
    - Remote didn't get detected. Automatically picked up under KnoppMyth.
    - Resolution didn't get managed properly. Had to pick 800x600 on a 1024x768 flatpanel. (worked fine on the tv though) Also didn't use the binary NVidia drivers I think?
    - Many services complain during boot, mostly about readonly filesystems. Though probably not a problem it's not something you'd want a customer ever to see.

That's all I could think of from the top of my head.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:26:51 pm »
the install will finish but it will take longer.
we can't control other websites that aren't under our admin. so if this sites will failed from various reasons you'll get some timeout when installing the cd. if the timeouts are unreasonable just install the cd's without internet -- offline.

- sound shouldn't failed if it works in other linux distro, should check the logs and see what happened  
- not true, everything should work fine even if you don't have internet. just install the 2nd cd
- timeouts could intervene sometimes, but it not happening all the time
- please sends us the errors that you found
- just choose a misc room, the room type serve to add some special automated scenarios. in bathroom you don't need a special scenarios. you can choose misc for type and call it bathroom
- we only detect automatically the winxp mc remote. you need to add it manually from media directors page
- resolutions should also work fine with regular and nvidia drivers
- the errors will be masked later, this is a devel distro.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:08:24 pm »
Quote from: "dan.g"
the install will finish but it will take longer.
we can't control other websites that aren't under our admin. so if this sites will failed from various reasons you'll get some timeout when installing the cd. if the timeouts are unreasonable just install the cd's without internet -- offline.

I would have thought you controlled deb.plutohome.com? I suspect the reason it was failing was actually a bug during installation. The deb url was followed by the branch which read "20dev main" or something like that which read like something out of rc?.d...

- sound shouldn't failed if it works in other linux distro, should check the logs and see what happened

Ah. Yes. I would have loved to but I never really got to a stage where I could check any logs if I tried to install the sound card. As soon as I tried to press OK on stage 6 (volume adjust buttons were ok, but there was no sound) the machine would completely freeze. Kernel OOPS? I don't know. I've installed Ubuntu on the machine now so I can't really test it without putting another HD in it.

- not true, everything should work fine even if you don't have internet. just install the 2nd cd

I'm afraid it is true. If I did not plug the network cable in, the machine would hang at DCERouter init. If I used CTRL-C on it it would go to the core screen (I think that's what it was) and not go on to setup. And that was using the 2nd CD.

- timeouts could intervene sometimes, but it not happening all the time

No, just during 1st/2nd boot. For every package it seems like it attempts to connect both deb.plutohome.com and www.yttron.as.ro if it fails, even when the 2nd CD has been used.

I'll try installation again on another machine and send you the errors I spot. Should I send/post them anywhere in particular?

- just choose a misc room, the room type serve to add some special automated scenarios. in bathroom you don't need a special scenarios. you can choose misc for type and call it bathroom

Ah. That makes sense. Maybe this should be mentioned somewhere before this step? Or maybe it was on the video and I just couldn't hear it.

- we only detect automatically the winxp mc remote. you need to add it manually from media directors page

Ok. Will there be more autodetect of remotes in the future?

- resolutions should also work fine with regular and nvidia drivers

Should but didn't.

- the errors will be masked later, this is a devel distro.

Fair enough.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freeze during setup
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:13:57 pm »
dan.g wrote:

I'll try installation again on another machine and send you the errors I spot. Should I send/post them anywhere in particular?

pm or via email to dan.g at plutohome.com