Author Topic: New install - MythTV setup problem  (Read 10897 times)

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New install - MythTV setup problem
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:04:20 am »
Hello, I just did a new install (Kubuntu first then "web" install). I have problems with MythTV and am a little confused about it. Firstly I don't have the MythTV Setup in Computing. Secondly if I go directly to "TV" the screen switches between 3 different windows ("cinematic 1" Playback starting/Media Library/Watch Recordings) until LMCE says that the MythTV is having problems and asks if it should reset the backend. I also get the following error message even long after LMCE asked to reset the backend: "Could not connect to the master backend server -- is it running? Is the IP address set for it in the setup program correct?"

I am confused with a few things. First http://avenard.org/files/..../Packages.bz2 didn't get fetched due to "Hash Sum mismatch" but it is stated that the Avenard repo is no longer needed here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_0810. So assuming that the former is the Avenard "repo" (I'm unfortunately a newbie so not sure if this is the case), this shouldn't matter at all.
However, MythTV setup should be found under Computing when it isn't and, having seen this thread (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=9805.0), the problem might be due to a lack of Avenard repo. The thread links to another page (that is also found in the "Installating 810" wiki page for MythTV install problems with the DVD installation) but with code that seems to be for MythTV 0.22. Just changing the latter 2 to 3 comes to mind but I don't want to make things worse!

So if anyone could help me out it would be great. Keep in mind I'm a newbie so if things like logs are needed please tell me exactly what to do.
Thanks in advance!

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: New install - MythTV setup problem
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:34 am »
Not seeing mythTV in computing is a bug, it is being worked on, or already squashed.

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:25:48 am »
Okay thanks. Hopefully it will solve the other problems as well =)

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:24:20 am »
I have just done a web install and have the same problem with the mythtv setup in the computing menu not being there

how do i solve this? do I have to wait for the bug to be sorted out or is there away around?

I have tried to update and upgrade but the issue is still there
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD 64 3200, 512mb ram, Silverstone Lascala LC02B

3xMD
Biostar 200n, AMD Sempron 2300, 512

mathieu

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 04:36:15 pm »
Hi Jayzee,

according to this thread http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10272.0 you can go to a terminal and do
Code: [Select]
sudo mythtv-setup.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:29:27 am »
I have made the fix to the mythtv player package, and need to see if it propagates to everyone's machines when they update.

-Thom

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:23:04 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I tried

sudo mythtv-setup

but it looks like I should stop mythtv backend before running as if I don't mythtv setup gives errors.

So have done an update and upgrade as thom suggests that he has released a fix but I still don't have the mythtv setup in the computing menu, is there anything else I need to do to get this fix working?

cheers J
Core/hybrid
Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA, AMD 64 Dual Core 4000, 1gig ram, 2xpvr150, 1xwintv nova T500, 1xconextant 4x security cam input card

1 X MD

3xMD

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »
I did 2 installs yesterday on different cores of snapshot 23049 and no Myth setup.

Update and upgrade do nothing after fresh installs.
I never quit... I just ping out.

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
i am trying to hold off from doing another reinstall untill I know for sure that the mythtv menu is there.

J
Core/hybrid

1 X MD

3xMD

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 04:56:58 pm »
It is worth noting that there should be little reason for even going into mythtv-setup. I don't have to, because my card is detected and set up in the setup wizard. If your card isn't, work with Mandingo, and get a device template made for it.

-Thom

jayzee

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 08:03:07 pm »
thanks for letting me know,

when I am in the inital setup although it finds my nova t500, I think because I am in the UK, it gives me a message about not being able to setup mythtv at this stage and to use mythtv setup instead which is why I had gone down this avenue.

should I be able to setup this card in the UK using the setup wizard?

thanks

J
Core/hybrid

1 X MD

3xMD

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »
thanks for letting me know,

when I am in the inital setup although it finds my nova t500, I think because I am in the UK, it gives me a message about not being able to setup mythtv at this stage and to use mythtv setup instead which is why I had gone down this avenue.

should I be able to setup this card in the UK using the setup wizard?

thanks

J

The main problem you will hit is most likely related to LCN's (Logical Channel Numbers) used here on Freeview. The other area you may bump into is configuring interactive services (ie The 'Red' button MHEG Service) as these work differently here in the UK than elsewhere and MythTV needs to be setup to use them. There are probably some other details but these are the main ones relating to the UK. But if your willing to assist mandingo to fix these issues then they should be fixable pretty simply.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

sdredwingsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 06:14:48 pm »
Not seeing mythTV in computing is a bug, it is being worked on, or already squashed.

wondering if this is still an issue?  I did an update last night but didnt seem to take.
Hybrid/Core: Chenbro PC40523, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core, SILVERSTONE NT07, SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB SATA, PVR-150 Tuner, XFX GeForce 6200 Graphics Card, Openfiler NAS 3TB Raid5

jamieaus

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:18:03 am »
Hi Guys

I have just finished installing a new install of linuxmce 0810 B net install yesterday 03 July 2010.

I have successfully ran the mythtv-setup from the command line it is not an option in the computing section.

when I open mythtv from linuxmce I am presented with a grey screen, if I open mythtv from the command line I receive the following error.

dcerouter_1011380:/home/jamie# mythtv
The program 'mythtv' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
apt-get install mythtv-frontend
bash: mythtv: command not found

Ok so I try installing it as suggested

dcerouter_1011380:/home/jamie# apt-get install mythtv-frontend
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
mythtv-frontend is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

I am able to see the list of channels in the grey screen if I press the guide button down the LHS of the screen, however I cannot select a channel to watch and I cannot see the mythtv menu.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this.

Also is there a guide anywhere on how to create a xml file of the channels in my area for easy importing into linuxmce.

Thanks for any help.

Jamie.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 02:05:28 am »
This has been explained before....

The freezing is literally because of an older version of MythTV Player being installed on the media directors...

Remove the pinning for all local packages from /etc/apt/preferences and do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade

To get MythTV's setup back into the menu, for now, go to the web admin, wizard, media directors, computing applications, and check the MythTV application from the menu. save..

I am trying to resolve this issue, and it will be fixed when i can figure out why the database entry isn't automatically being added.

-Thom