Author Topic: Power consumption selection  (Read 9388 times)

d0t

• View Profile
Power consumption selection
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:55:45 am »
I'd like to request a new feature - in the web UI's Basic Info > Installation page, have an option to select the desired power consumption of the entire LinuxMCE system (ie Green/Balanced/Performance).  This option might also be available in the orbiter, or configurable programmatically (dcerouter/C++), or even just based on the current house mode.  If set for Green, LinuxMCE switches all Orbiters to a dark theme, aggressively powers down MDs, blanks screens, dismounts storage, reduces/increases climate temp based on outside temp, turns off A/V gear, etc.  Balanced is the standard setting, but should be tuned beyond the current 8.10b2, which seems to run the flickr screensaver constantly.  Performance would automatically start devices in the areas around your location/level based on your location in the floorplan (ie for large installs), quickly engage perimeter lighting, use all unused displays for the flickr screensaver, etc.

This introduces new useful scenarios in which you want your homes power mode to switch to green when your away for an extended period of time, time of day, etc, or when you want your home in performance mode for party/demonstration situations.  I think this is a very useful and marketable feature that could potentially reduce the carbon footprint of large installs and potentially LinuxMCE users overall, while expanding the already obvious existing cool factor.  More brainstorming is certainly needed...  Chime in if you can ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:14:10 am by d0t »

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Power consumption selection
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:21:08 pm »
I'd like to request a new feature - in the web UI's Basic Info > Installation page, have an option to select the desired power consumption of the entire LinuxMCE system (ie Green/Balanced/Performance).  This option might also be available in the orbiter, or configurable programmatically (dcerouter/C++), or even just based on the current house mode.  If set for Green, LinuxMCE switches all Orbiters to a dark theme, aggressively powers down MDs, blanks screens, dismounts storage, reduces/increases climate temp based on outside temp, turns off A/V gear, etc.  Balanced is the standard setting, but should be tuned beyond the current 8.10b2, which seems to run the flickr screensaver constantly.  Performance would automatically start devices in the areas around your location/level based on your location in the floorplan (ie for large installs), quickly engage perimeter lighting, use all unused displays for the flickr screensaver, etc.

This introduces new useful scenarios in which you want your homes power mode to switch to green when your away for an extended period of time, time of day, etc, or when you want your home in performance mode for party/demonstration situations.  I think this is a very useful and marketable feature that could potentially reduce the carbon footprint of large installs and potentially LinuxMCE users overall, while expanding the already obvious existing cool factor.  More brainstorming is certainly needed...  Chime in if you can ;)

I think making available what the current power usage is, as opposed to an automated aggressive power management scheme. This is also something ive thought about. Just going to highlight some ideas

Power Usage
Currently, there is no easy way to get real time power monitoring devices around the house unless you wired it with that consideration in mind. Then there could be sensors and whatnot that could be theoretically connected to linuxMCE. So that option is kaput

I was thinking along the lines of
-List room by room, both linuxMCE connected and not linuxMCE connected, the devices and their power consumption in that room. Tedious? hell yes.
BUT
we at least have a basic power consumption tally. Then depending on what is controlled by linuxMCE can be possible scaled down / back.

Just the beginning of an idea :)

golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »
go for it.

-Thom

apagg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:40 pm »
I was thinking along the lines of
-List room by room, both linuxMCE connected and not linuxMCE connected, the devices and their power consumption in that room. Tedious? hell yes.
BUT
we at least have a basic power consumption tally. Then depending on what is controlled by linuxMCE can be possible scaled down / back.

I actual started working on something along those lines yesterday :)

What I have done so fare is make the datalogger_pugin record all state changes. I am then planing to use the information and the amount of power I know each device consume to monitor energy consumption.

At the moment I am testing to see if the information recorded is usable. I am not sure all the devices reports are reliable.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:47 pm »
apagg has the right idea, anyone else wishing to work on this, coordinate with him.

-Thom

falcorn

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:57:32 pm »
I want to resume this topic because i need to know if i can know how much is consuming an object connected to linuxmce.
For example if i know that the oven is on and it use 900W, the washer is on and use 500W and my total power is 3,3KW in Italy....can linuxmce tell me single power consumption of that object and, theoretically, power off other household appliances to prevent blackout?
Maybe i can set a priority list of my household appliances to power off those that can be power on later
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:00:38 pm by falcorn »

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »
The framework for power reporting exists in LinuxMCE, and is used at least by ZWave, where single devices report their energy usage. One of these devices can be the total for your house. But there are no display of this information in the Orbiter at the moment, only in the datalogger section in the web admin.

But there is no logic in place to turn devices on and off based on total usage. I you might be able to create a crude solution using  events.

br,
sambuca